Social Work Department News
Congratulations to Geoffrea Morris CSUEB MSW Alum (2009)Congratulations to CSUEB MSW Alum (2009) Geoffrea Morris on being selected for one of this year's 40 Under 40 awards. Geoffrea is the Chief Equity Officer for the City and County of San Francisco's COVID Command Center. Read more about Geoffrea's work and the other award recipients on the 40 Under 40 page.
#VotingIsSocialWorkThe CSUEB MSW Program is participating in the national #VotingIsSocialWork campaign. As part of the campaign, we are promoting voting among our students and encouraging students to support others in voting. We are also collecting and sharing #VotingSelfies. Thank you to 2nd Year MSW Student John Medina, pictured above, for sharing his. Students, alums, faculty, staff, and community partners - please send us pics of you voting or helping to get out the vote! To see more, visit our Facebook page.
Healing the Trauma of Racism Altar ProjectThe Department of Social Work is very pleased to be able to collaborate with the Department of Theatre and Dance in creating this Healing the Trauma of Racism Altar. The Altar project is being co-led by Professor & Chair of Theatre and Dance Eric Kupers and Professor Emerita Dr. Dianne Rush Woods in Social Work. All first year MSW students are contributing to the altar as part of their Race, Gender, and Inequality course (taught by Dr. Woods, Dr. Horn, and Dr. Payne), as are many Theatre and Dance students and other members of the CSUEB and broader community. Read more about this project here and check out the updates on the Theatre and Dance and Social Work Facebook pages.
World Mental Health Day Conference
The Middle Eastern, North African, Asian Pacific Islander Social Work Graduate Association (MENA API SWGA) organized a one-day Virtual Conference on World Mental Health Day on October 10, 2020. The conference's theme was Issues of Racism, Casteism, and Mental Health during COVID-19.
The event featured speakers from around the globe, including:
- Prof. Dr. Steve Folmar of Wake Forest University
- Prof. Dr. Usha Kiran Subba of Tribhuvan University in Kathmandu, Nepal
- Jeevan Pariyar, Constituent Assembly Member and Policymaker, Nepal
- Pysay Phinith, LCSW, Program Director, Korean Community Center of the East Bay
- Dr. Diba Ataie Hatamipour, LMFT
- D.B. Sagar, Founder and President, International Commission for Dalit Rights
- Dr. Bishnu Maya Pariyar, founding President of the Association of Dalit Women’s Advancement of Nepal
- Our own Cal State East Bay Social Work faculty, Prof. Dr. Dianne Rush Woods and Prof. Dr. Sarah Taylor