Since this site is open to the public, it should be noted that the select jobs listed here are primarily located in the San Francisco Bay Area and, in some cases, on the California State University East Bay Hayward Hills campus. New opportunities will be added to the top of the list as they come in.
Work in Giant Sequoia Forest!
- Location: Giant sequoia forests in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
- Duration: Early June, 2023 till September or October, 2023 (funding dependent)
- Brief Description: One crew leader and 1-2 crew members are needed to collect ecological data in both burned and unburned giant sequoia forests in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. The crew will conduct field sampling on fuels, forest structure and the conditions surrounding planted seedlings. The data will be collected to support long-term monitoring that will result in both original scientific research and tangible recommendations for managing giant sequoia forests. Field methods, equipment, and safety training will be provide. The work schedule will include 8 ten-hour work days followed by 6 days off. Field sites will also include remote backcountry wilderness areas that will require backpacking ~10 miles with a heavy pack, likely for at least two 8-day trips. The crew will be provided with a vehicle, but crew members are responsible for their own transportation to and from the duty station at the beginning and end of the work week. Some field driving will be on remote and rugged roads. Shared camping equipment will be provided as necessary.
- Requirements to Apply:
-Bachelors degree or equivalent experience in ecology, botany, forestry, range science, or related natural science field
-A minimum of two seasons of related field work
-Upper division college coursework or equivalent experience in ecology, botany, forestry, range science, or related natural science field
-A minimum of one season of related field work or multiple relevant coursework field experiences
Qualifications required for both positions:
-Experience in conifer forest vegetation data collection methods
-Experience in identifying trees and shrubs
-Experience in use of map, compass, and GPS units for location and travel
-Ability to maintain a positive attitude in physically demanding and/or uncomfortable conditions
-Enthusiasm for the type of work to be conducted
-Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Excel for data entry purposes
-CPR and Wilderness First Aid certified (certification may be accomplished after job offer is made, with registration cost reimbursed by the employer up to $250)
Deadline to Apply: Friday, March 10, 2023
- To Apply: (please follow these instructions exactly)
Combine a cover letter (1 page maximum), CV/resume (2 pages maximum), and three
references (including name, organization, phone, email, and relationship to you) into a single
pdf. Name the pdf file with your last name, a dash and the position you are applying for (for example, Smith-CrewLead, Jones-Crewmember). Upload your application to the Box link below no later than March 10, 2023 (though review of applications will be ongoing as they are submitted). Your cover letter must also clearly state whether you are applying for crew lead or crew member and any potential constraints on your availability between early June and October. Your CV should address all of the required and preferred qualifications that you meet.
Please send your pdf to: Sequoia.email@example.com and cc firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line must state: Sequoia field crew application. Please do not include any cover letter or introductory information in the body of the email as it will not be read.
- For More Information: Contact email@example.com with any questions.
Field Biology Intern
- Location: John Muir National Historic Site, Martinez, California
- Duration: April 3 - July 21
- Brief Description: The Field Biology Internship is designed to prepare students for careers in Conservation Ecology and Environmental Sciences. Students working in this internship will assist Biologists in a variety of natural resource management projects, inventory and monitoring activities. Work may involve collection of field data and observations, reporting to park biologists about notable findings, geographical information systems (GIS), invasive plant management and resource protection issues.
- To Apply: Visit Here
Envirocheck Hiring Lab Analyst
- Location: Hayward, CA
- Brief Description: Envirocheck is looking to fill the position of a full-time lab analyst. Applicants must have a Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Microbiology, Geology, or related science.
- To Apply: Click here.
Biological Science Technician
- Location: Arcata, CA
- Duration: Dates will be approximately from mid-May to mid-August 2023 (with the potential for a longer season).
- Brief Description: USGS Redwood Field Station in Arcata California is currently recruiting for biological science technicians for Summer 2023 in forest ecology. They will be hiring up to 6 positions, including a crew leadership position. There are 2 separate announcements for each GS level we will be hiring. Attached are informational flies and the job announcements.
- Deadline to Apply: December 30, 2022.
- To Apply: Click here.
- For More Information: Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.