Declaring a major or minor in writing is an important step in establishing your student record and is a requirement for you to progress toward your degree and to graduate.

Changing major and/or concentration is possible for undergraduate degree students and graduate degree students. Only undergraduate students can earn a minor.


Undergraduate Degree Students

Undergraduate students who wish to change their major, minor, or concentration may use the Change of Major, Minor, or Concentration Form available on the Student Records Forms page. Students changing to a major, minor or concentration within the College of Business (CBE) and College of Science (CSCI) should submit the form online. The form will be routed electronically to the appropriate department for approval and then to Registrar’s for processing.

Students in other Colleges (CLASS or CEAS) should complete the paper form, obtain department approval, and submit the form to Registrar’s in one of the following ways: email to, fax to 510-885-3816, or submit in-person at the Enrollment Information Center on the first floor of the Student Services Building on the Hayward Campus, or the Academic Services Center on the Concord Campus.

If you are not sure what College your major is in, you can view a list of Majors in Each College.

Graduate Students

Graduate Students who wish to declare or add a Concentration to their graduate program must use the Request to Declare or Change Concentration for Graduate Students Form. Graduate students who wish to change their degree objective must complete the online Change of Graduate Objective Request Form. For inquiries regarding the Change of Graduate Objective process you may e-mail or call the Office of Admission at (510) 885-3500.