Frequently Asked Questions

No, citizenship status is not a requirement for admission. However, California residency or AB 540/AB 2000 eligibility is required for in-state tuition. Please note you will need to meet Residency requirements of AB540 to be eligible for in-state tuition. If you do not meet the AB540 requirements, you will be required to pay nonresident fees. 

Students enjoy a level of privacy in their educational records under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and numerous other state and federal laws. We consider student information disclosing immigration status to the University as part of their educational record. Although FERPA protects education records, please bear in mind this law and most other privacy laws have exceptions which place limits on the University’s ability to provide absolute protection for these records. In the matter of a record regarding immigration status, CSU can protect student privacy information from federal agents to a point, but CSU is not in a position where it can guarantee such protection. If the agency has a warrant or subpoena for documents, FERPA privacy rights would no longer apply and the University would be obligated to turn over records responsive to a legitimate subpoena, warrant or other court order.  We will provide additional training for faculty and staff on the rights of privacy that students have to their records under FERPA and other state and federal privacy laws. We will also remind faculty and staff of student privacy rights and the strict requirements that must be met before the University has any obligation to turn over records revealing immigration status of any of its students. Any release of private records will only occur after careful review to determine whether the University has a legal obligation.

CSUApply, the new online application portal opens June 1, 2017. On this online application complete the citizenship portion as it best describes your current immigration status.

Please note you will need to meet Residency requirements of AB540 to be eligible for in-state tuition. If you do not meet the AB540 requirements, you will be required to pay nonresident fees.
Applicants must submit an AB 540/AB 2000 Affidavit (California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request form) to the Office of Admission. AB 540/AB 2000 does not grant residency status; rather, it exempts/waives you from paying non-resident tuition fees. You will continue to be classified as a non-resident. For information about how and when to submit the AB 540/ AB 2000 affidavit, please visit our legislation and policy page or contact the Office of Admission at

If you or your family have taken steps to obtain or legalize your status (e.g. permanent resident, asylum, family unity program, etc.), you may also apply for in-state tuition fees under California Community College Title 5, Chapter 2 “Residency Regulations and Requirements for Undocumented Aliens” 2.22. Through this process you would then be eligible for state aid, provided you meet any additional requirements set forth by those programs (for example, Low income.)

For information in Spanish please see the Admissions Information in the Spanish Web page.

Send an e-mail before you enroll in classes to:

The ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) is a tax processing number, issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), for certain resident and non-resident aliens, their spouses, and their dependents. It's a nine-digit number beginning with the number “9” and is formatted like a SSN (example: 9XX-7X-XXXX). For more information visit the IRS website.

Undocumented students are not eligible for Federal Financial Aid. However, students can apply for state financial aid through the California Dream Act. For additional information contact the financial aid office and request staff with expertise in working with undocumented students.

Students that are U.S. citizens whose parents are undocumented are eligible to complete the FAFSA as long as parents file income taxes with an ITIN. For additional information contact the financial aid office and request staff with expertise in working with mixed status families.

No. ITINs are used for tax purposes only and are not intended to serve any other purpose. However, for citizen students with undocumented parents/guardians, you enter nine zeros (000-00-0000 in place of your parents social security number.

Undocumented students are eligible for scholarships as long as they meet the scholarship criteria. Some California scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement, or financial need, or other criteria. Scholarships can be found in the Pioneer Scholarships portal.

There are many private organizations that award scholarships based upon a variety of criteria. For a list, please visit to our DACA Scholarships page.

No, undocumented students with DACA are still undocumented and are not eligible to receive federal aid and should never complete the FAFSA.  Undocumented students should only complete the California Dream Act Application.

California Dream Act (AB 130 and AB 131)allows students who qualify under AB 540/AB 2000 to apply for non-state funded scholarships. These laws took effect in 2012 and 2013.  These grants may include Cal Grant, Chafee Grant, Middle Class Scholarship, California State University Grants, EOP/EOPS Grants and other. For more information, visit the Scholarships website or our DACA Scholarships page.

There may be some majors that will require additional licensure and certification requirements, such as teaching or nursing. It is important for students to be aware of the requirements prior to declaring a major. Students should consult with the major program adviser in your department for possible requirements for fields of study that may require licenses or certifications.

Students can process providing a valid form of identification with your photograph. This would include one of the following: A school ID card, a valid driver’s license, or a current passport. You must also have a Cal State East Bay NetID to prove that you are an admitted or enrolled student. 

Not automatically. If USCIS has decided to defer action in your case and you want to travel outside the United States, you must apply for advance parole by filing a Form I-131, Application for Travel Document and paying the applicable fee. USCIS will determine whether your purpose for international travel is justifiable based on the circumstances you describe in your request. Generally, USCIS will only grant advance parole if your travel abroad will be in furtherance of:

  • humanitarian purposes, including travel to obtain medical treatment, attending funeral services for a family member, or visiting an ailing relative;
  • educational purposes, such as semester-abroad programs and academic research, or;
  • employment purposes such as overseas assignments, interviews, conferences or, training, or meetings with clients overseas.

Travel for vacation is not a valid basis for advance parole.

You may not apply for advance parole unless and until USCIS defers action in your case under the consideration of DACA. You cannot apply for advance parole at the same time as you submit your request for consideration of DACA. All advance parole requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

If USCIS has deferred action in your case under the DACA process after you have been ordered deported or removed, you may still request advance parole if you meet the guidelines for advance parole described above.

CAUTION: However, for those individuals who have been ordered deported or removed, before you actually leave the United States, you should seek to reopen your case before the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) and obtain administrative closure or termination of your removal proceeding. Even after you have asked EOIR to reopen your case, you should not leave the United States until after EOIR has granted your request. If you depart after being ordered deported or removed, and your removal proceeding has not been reopened and administratively closed or terminated, your departure may result in your being considered deported or removed, with potentially serious future immigration consequences. If you have any questions about this process, you may contact U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) through the local ICE Office of the Chief Counsel with jurisdiction over your case.

CAUTION: If you travel outside the United States on or after Aug. 15, 2012, without first receiving advance parole, your departure automatically terminates your deferred action under DACA.

For more information visit the USCIS website.