Commonly Asked Questions

Cal State East Bay offers credential programs in three departments in the College of Education and Allied Studies and one in the College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences. All programs meet the standards of the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) and National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The main credential programs are listed below. The listed items are subject to change without notice depending on programmatic or budgetary constraints. Always refer to the current year's admission information for the latest list of offerings.

The available credential terms are also shown as: Internships (I), Preliminary (P), or Professional/Clear (C) Credential types.

Available Credentials Offered At Cal State East Bay
DepartmentCredentialAuthorization or SpecializationAvailable Terms
Teacher Education Multiple Subject General Subjects (I) Internships
(P) Preliminary
Multiple Subject with BCLAD Emphasis General Subjects with Spanish Bilingual Cross-Cultural Language and Academic Development (I) Internships
(P) Preliminary
Multiple Subject plus Education Specialist General Subject and an Education Specialist Instruction (Mild to Moderate or Moderate to Severe) (I) Internships
(P) Preliminary
Single Subject Varies. Single Subjects offered are: Art, English, Foreign Languages, Social Science (History), Mathematics, Music, Physical Education, Science (I) Internships
(P) Preliminary
Reading Certificate n/a (I) Internships
(P) Preliminary
(C) Clear
Reading Credential (formally known as the Specialist in Reading and Language Arts n/a (I) Internships
(P) Preliminary
(C) Clear
Educational Psychology Education Specialist Instruction (special education) Mild to Moderate or Moderate to Severe (I) Internships
(P) Preliminary
(C) Clear
Pupil Personnel Services School Psychology or School Counseling (I) Internships
(C) Clear
Educational Leadership Administrative Services

(I) Internships
(P) Preliminary Tier I
(Pr) Professional Tier II

Communicative Sciences & Disorders Speech-Pathology and Audiology Language, Speech and Hearing (P) Preliminary
(C) Clear

  • Possess a bachelor’s degree in any major from a regionally accredited college or university. Foreign transcripts must be reviewed by one of the approved agencies by the CTC; a list of agencies is found at the CTC's website.
  • Satisfy the Basic Skills Requirement, e.g., CBEST. For a description and options to meet this requirement, visit our All Forms and Documents page.
  • Possess a Certificate of Clearance on file with the CTC. For a description and related forms to meet this requirement, visit our All Forms and Documents page.

For a list of specific admissions requirements, please visit the department’s FAQ section.

It depends on the credential program. Admissions into any credential program requires at least the University Admissions Application. It is highly encouraged that all applicants complete the CSUEB Admissions Application online at

For department admissions application requirements, visit our All Forms and Documents page.

The deadline for credential programs vary by department. Please visit our Credential Programs Overview page for a table of credential application deadlines.

Yes. Your bachelor's degree needs to confer before the start of the program. For example, if the Credential program starts June 18,2018, your bachelor's degree needs to confer or going to be conferred before June 18, 2018.

For information about graduate programs at Cal State East Bay, please visit the Office of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies webpage.

If you have access to MyCSUEB, you should update your address in your student account.

You should send your application packet to: 

Credential Student Service Center
Cal State East Bay
25800 Carlos Bee Blvd.
Hayward, CA 94542

It depends. It is possible to get admitted to the University based on meeting the university admissions requirements. Yet, you may not gain admissions to the department based on their admissions criteria, space, etc… You must get admitted to both the university and the department in order to begin registering for classes.

You may check your university admissions status by visiting your MyCSUEB account.

You must first speak with your Cohort Leader to confirm whether you are able to pursue and Internship Credential. Then, once confirmed, obtain the necessary forms online. You must retrieve the Instruction Sheet, Application Form, and Credential Processing Fee.

Credentials are filed on a rolling basis after all requirements have been met and all final grades are officially posted on your transcript. Check your MyCSUEB account for the status of your grades.

No, credentials are filed on a rolling basis after all requirements have been met and all final grades are officially posted on your transcript. Check your MyCSUEB account for the status of your grades.

You may have a balance; however, your account must be in good standing with the university in order for us to process your credential. Check your MyCSUEB account for the status of your account.

You must follow the instructions provided for Credential Verification Requests. All requests will be handled on a rolling basis along with all other credentialing projects.