- Department of History
- Degree Programs
- Who We Are
- Information For Counselors and Future Students
- Center for Applied History
- Scholarships and Donations
- Important Links
Our motto is: Learn the Past. Understand the Present. Shape the Future. We therefore view our programs and our courses through the lens of applied history, which is the idea that investigations of the past are relevant to the present, and that a study of change over time historically enables us to effect change in the here-and-now. Each of our six programs is informed by leading-edge scholarship and innovative pedagogies.
Every semester, the History Department at Cal State East Bay offers approximately 60 classes, taught by nearly 30 faculty, in support of six unique programs:
- History undergraduate bachelor of arts (B.A.) degree
- History graduate master of arts (M.A.) degree
- History undergraduate minor degree
- Public History Certificate
- Single Subject Matter Preparation Program in Social Science for future teachers in California middle and high schools
- General Education Minor Degree in Sustainability
Above all, our courses and programs are inherently defined by our students, who understand what matters now in the study of the past. In this emphasis on socially engaged and applied history, Cal State East Bay’s Department of History offers students unique courses of study that they help to create and define.