Future Students

graduate student in speech pathology

What is a speech-language pathologist, or SLP?

Speech-language pathologists (SLP's) assess and treat persons with communication disorders involving speech, language, and/or hearing. They work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, schools, rehabilitation centers, community clinics, and private practice. 

Why choose to become an SLP?

Students choose this profession because they are strong communicators who seek a rewarding, well-paying profession in which they can help others. SLP’s have the opportunity to work with a variety of age-groups in a wide range of work settings. The job market is excellent, and there is an increasing need for a more culturally diverse workforce to better treat and relate to the changing population of people with communication disorders. Graduates easily find work in schools, hospitals, clinics, rehabilitation centers, and private practice. They are also professional researchers in the areas of normal communication development as well as disorders.  

How do I become an SLP?

A Master's Degree is required to become a licensed Speech-Language Pathologist. The Cal State East Bay Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences (SLHS) offers both the Bachelors and Master's Degree in speech pathology.  The graduate program in speech pathology is an in person program and accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Graduate students complete extensive clinical training including two off-campus internships. Graduates of the M.S. program are prepared to apply for California state licensure, the ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence, and the California Teacher’s Commission Speech-Language Pathology Services credential.

Note that admission into the program does not guarantee that students will obtain credential, licensure, or certification. Credential, licensing and certification requirements are set by agencies that are not controlled by or affiliated with the California State University and these requirements may change at any time. For more information, please see the CSUEB Program Accreditation site.

While typically, prospective students apply to our graduate program with a degree or post-baccalaureate coursework in communication disorders, those whose first degree is not in communication disorders can also apply.  Please see our Extended Graduate Program information page.

Department Information

University Information