The following frequently asked questions (FAQs) provide information about online classes:

Where are the online classes?

Classes, including discussions and labs, are held through the Internet. Students and faculty use a learning management system called Blackboard (or Bb) for all online classes. Bb is a richly complex application that lives on Amazon Web Services Cloud and backup servers on campus and at a distance (in case of earthquakes or other disasters). You "go to campus" by visiting Blackboard and logging in by using your NetID and password. Once you've logged in, you will see all the classes you have enrolled in for the current quarter. To "go to" each class, simply click on the name of the course. You will find announcements, a syllabus, weekly assignments, readings, a place for groups to meet, links to other websites, and information on how to hand in your assignments and participate in class discussions.

How many times a week should I log in for class?

Log into Blackboard 3-4 times a week for lectures and other course materials, to hand in assignments, to work in groups, to have discussions, and to take exams.

Will I need to physically visit the campus?

For the online degree programs, there is no requirement to visit the campus.

How do I purchase class materials?

If computer software or textbooks are required for your class, you may purchase them online through the CSUEB Bookstore.

What if I don’t like the class?

You are able to make changes to your class schedule until the add/drop deadline for the quarter. If you do not like your course, you must drop it by the deadline or you will be financially responsible for the class. For academic dates and deadlines, visit the Class Schedule.

What is my NetID?

Your NetID is your personal CSUEB student identification number. It gives you access to MyCSUEB, Horizon e-mail, and Blackboard. You receive your NetID with its activation code in your letter of admission. To learn more about the online tools available to you, please click here.

Do I have to take the Writing Skills Test (WST)? If so, when and how do I sign up for it?

All transfer students are subject to the University Writing Skills Requirement (UWSR). Students can take the Writing Skills Test (WST) or they can take a course to fulfill the UWSR once they have completed 90 quarter units (Junior Standing). For more information about arranging to take the WST or completing a course to fulfill this requirement, you can call (510) 885-3662 and visit the Testing site.

Are the general education (GE) requirements at Cal State East Bay the same as the institution where I transferred from?

The lower division general education requirements at Cal State East Bay are the same as other California State Universities and California Community Colleges. University of California (UC) campuses, private colleges and universities, and outside of California colleges and universities may have different requirements. Transfer students are encouraged to use ASSIST for a preliminary review of transferable courses. ASSIST is recognized by the State of California as the official repository of student transfer information for California's public colleges and universities. The site will show if a course transfers, counts for general education requirements, or counts toward major requirements.

How many units can I transfer to Cal State East Bay?

Students transferring from community colleges may transfer a maximum of 70 semester (105 quarter) units of credit. Students transferring from a 4-year institution may transfer all eligible units; however, all student will be held to 45 units in residence at CSUEB. Course work assigned a grade of 2.0 or higher may be recognized in transfer.

What is the maximum number of units that I can take in a quarter?

Students can take up to 22 units without permission from the department.

Who should I contact for advisment on my general education, transfer evaluation and graduation requirements?

Admitted students may contact the Academic Advising Career Education (AACE) online counselor at (510) 885-4655 or email tuyen.nguyen@csueastbay.edu for advisement on general education and general graduation requirements. When contacting the AACE, please mention that you are an online student.

Admitted students with college or university credit can access their official transfer credit evaluation on MyCSUEB prior to the start of classes. This evaluation shows how courses completed at other institutions transfer to Cal State East Bay. Students with transfer credit evaluation questions can contact the Evaluations Office at (510) 885-2784 for questions related to transferring credit.