Frequently Asked Questions from Transfer Students

Transfer students have many questions when transitioning to Cal State East Bay's programs and processes. Here are some of the more frequently asked questions:

Transfer students will receive Cal State East Bay advising information, course registration instructions, financial aid tips and procedures, a campus tour, and student resources. Cal State East Bay strongly recommends that transfer students sign up for a

Transfer Orientation

Students can choose from on-campus or online Orientation sessions.

Before admission

Pre-admission advising is available before and when you apply to be admitted to Cal State East Bay. Between being admitted and the start of your first term, advising sessions are available on campus at Transfer Student Orientation.

After you have been admitted and enrolled

After you have been admitted and enrolled in courses, general academic advising is available from AACE after the second week of the term of entry. Advising should be sought from two sources, first from an advisor who specializes in non-major requirements (General Education (G.E.), unit requirements, and UWSR) and second, from your faculty advisor who can advise you about major requirements.

AACE is the main hub for non-major requirement advising and it is recommended you meet with them at least twice a year. They’ll help you navigate and understand the online Degree Audit Report; self-advisement is not recommended when it comes to G.E. requirements. More information about AACE services can be found on the AACE web site.

For advising in your major, contact the major department in your academic college.

Within two quarters, the Office of the Registrar will evaluate your work that was posted by the Office of Admissions. When the evaluation is complete, you will receive notification to your Horizon student e-mail account and your G.E. Evaluation checklist status on MyCSUEB’s “to do” list will change status from "initiated" to "notified". G.E. evaluation procedures may differ slightly for students in the online Business Administration program or who were admitted through the International Admissions Office.

The MyCSUEB self-service system includes everything you need to register for classes. For more details on course registration, please review this information: how to register for classes.

Your enrollment dates are posted in your student portal MyCSUEB and you will receive an e-mail notification from the University.

You do not need to do anything at this point in the process. The G.E. evaluation checklist item is merely a status indicator of whether the Office of the Registrar has finished their G.E. evaluation. Initiated means CSUEB has started the review; and 'notified' means the review has been completed. This indicator has no impact on your ability to register for classes. If you’re unable to enroll, either you have not yet been fully admitted, or you’re trying to get into a class that is reserved for students in a particular major or program.

The G.E. Evaluation checklist item will continue to be on your list, but it has no impact on your ability to register. G.E .advisors (AACE, EOP, EXCEL, and GANAS) need some indication that the G.E. section of your Degree Audit Report (DAR) was at some point reviewed; the checklist item’s 'notified' status is that indication. You are not able to remove checklist items.

Contact your major department or College Student Service Center. Major requirement completion with transfer work lies within the jurisdiction of the departments, not with the Office of the Registrar.

At present, MyCSUEB is only programmed to check for prerequisite courses under certain circumstances. As such, we recommend you check with your major department, College Student Service Center, or instructor to confirm that your transfer work satisfies the prerequisite requirements for the class.

Not necessarily. CSUEB requires three upper division G.E. classes in humanities, social science, and science as well as satifying the University Writing Skills Requirement (UWSR), none of which can be completed at a community college. Also there are lower-division graduation requirements that are specific to CSUEB which may not be part of the typical community college curriculum.

Yes, since 1977 the CSU system has implemented this requirement across all campuses. Students must demonstrate competency in English composition at an upper-division university level. You can learn more about this requirement on our Testing web site.

For General Education, we recommend you start taking upper division General Education (G.E.) classes. The Academic Advising & Career Education (AACE) Center has created a guide for incoming transfer students: Guide for New Transfer Students

For major requirements, some departments will review your actual transcripts, rather than wait until your coursework has been uploaded to MyCSUEB. Contact your major department for advice: Directory of Undergraduate Programs

At CSUEB, the transfer credit evaluation is called a Degree Audit Report (DAR). It shows how your transferrable courses apply to your General Education (G.E.) requirements. Learn more at the Transfer Credit web site.

If the course is taken at a California Community College, you may check the General Education (G.E.) Breadth certification agreement between the Community College and Cal State East Bay by using the web site, For courses taken at a sister CSU campus, Cal State East Bay will honor G.E. course lists from that campus. Out-of-state or private institution coursework will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis for General Education applicability.

Cal State East Bay follows the CSU Chancellor’s Office guidelines. Our lists of acceptable tests and General Education credit are listed at the following links:

The Office of Admissions will process exams submitted prior to being admitted. However, if scores are sent to us concurrent with your enrollment at CSUEB, please contact

Visit the Graduation web site for details about reviewing your degree completion, preparing to graduate, filing for graduation, graduating with honors, and other topics.