Immigration Policies

Immigration policies for California State University, East Bay can be read here: Immigration Information.


In order to keep your immigration record, please bring your I-94, passport, and I-20(s) with you to the New Student Orientation.


If you have recently arrived from outside the United States, the Custom Border Patrol Officials stamped your passport and created an electronic I-94 at the U.S. port of entry. Upon arrival, visit Arrival/Departure Forms and retrieve your electronic I-94. Make sure that your I-94 states “F-1" and “D/S” (Duration of Status). Duration of Status means you may stay, as long as you follow the F-1 rules to maintain status, even if the F-1 visa in your passport expires while you are in the U.S.

Transfer Students

If you are transferring from another school in the U.S as an F-1 student, you must complete the transfer of your immigration record to American Language Program before the beginning of the term. You will need to complete the following three steps:

  1. Notify your previous school of your intent to transfer to CSU East Bay.
  2. The international student advisor, at your previous school, will enter a “Transfer Release” date in the SEVIS database. Only after the transfer release date has been entered will CSU East Bay be able to create your new I-20.
  3. Visit the American Language Program during drop-in hours, or by appointment, (call 510-885-2358 to schedule an appointment) and bring your passport, I-94, and all previous I-20s. Accordingly, the international student advisor will review your immigration documents, and then issue your new I-20.

Maintaining Legal F-1 Status

a) Remember to keep a valid, authorized, I-20 which reflects your current program at all times. (Check the completion of
studies date in section 5 of your I-20.)

b) Notify ALP of any change in your program so that we can inform USCIS of the change within the required time.

c) Maintain full-time enrollment. Exceptions to full-time enrollment are defined by USCIS, and must be approved by an
International Student Advisor BEFORE the term begins.

d) About taking your vacation term:

  • Before taking a vacation term, you must receive authorization from ALP.
  • You may take a vacation term if you have completed 4 consecutive terms (= 2 semesters or 9 months) of full-time enrollment at ALP.
  • You must study for four consecutive sessions before taking another vacation term.
  • The last term of your program can never be a vacation term.

e) If you are unable to complete your program before the completion date in #5 of your I-20, you must apply for a Program Extension at ALP within 30 days before your I-20 expires.

f) Maintain a valid passport at all times. (Contact your Embassy/Consulate to extend your passport)

g) Refrain from unauthorized employment.

h) Notify CSU East Bay of any change in your U.S. residential address via MYCSUEB. In turn, ALP will report your
updated address to USCIS.


Anytime you travel, please complete the “I-20 Travel Authorization Request Form” and leave your original I-20 at ALP for a
travel endorsement AT LEAST ONE WEEK before you leave. Please plan ahead. If you have dependents in the U.S., and they will travel without you, they will need separate travel documents. In general, when you travel outside the U.S., you will need: a) your I-20 authorized for travel by an International Student Advisor, b) a valid passport, and c) a valid F-1 visa. If you are traveling to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean, please read our handout on travel to “Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.” If you are traveling to a country other than your own, be sure to check with a consulate, or embassy of that country, to see if you need a visa to enter.

Employment for International Students

Employment authorization is possible for F-1 students. F-2 dependents can NEVER work. If you have questions about work
authorization, please see an International Student Advisor BEFORE beginning any type of employment. Unauthorized employment is a serious violation of your immigration status.

On-Campus: As an F-1 student, you are eligible to work on campus no more than 20 hours per week while you are enrolled full-time, or 40 hours a week during your authorized vacation term and breaks between terms. You are not allowed to work on-campus after you complete your degree program.

Grace Period

You have a 60-day grace period following the successful completion of the course of study. The 60-day grace period is to be used for the following purposes:

  • To prepare for departure from the U.S.
  • To be admitted to another institution in the U.S. (and have your SEVIS record transferred, in a timely manner, to the new institution)
  • To submit an application for change of status from F-1 to another immigrant or nonimmigrant status.

Immigration Information Concerning Dependents

If your dependents (spouse and/or children) will be arriving in the U.S. separately from you, you will need to request I-20s for them. You must also demonstrate additional sources of financial support for them. Your dependents will use the I-20(s) and financial documentation to apply for F-2 visa(s) at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy. An F-2 spouse, or child, may not engage in full-time study (except elementary and secondary education). An F-2 dependent must apply, and be approved for a change of status, to F-1, M-1 or J-1, in order to pursue a full course of study at the post-secondary level.

For more information about immigration policies at ALP, please contact