- Music Department
- About Us
- Prospective Students
- Student Resources
- Music Ensembles
- Faculty & Staff
- News & Events
What Makes Us Special
The Department of Music welcomes and supports a diverse student body by offering all students outstanding culturally relevant musical and educational experiences within a nurturing and inclusive environment. These experiences provide opportunities for personal and professional enrichment by developing a greater appreciation for, and understanding of, the art of music. Through performance, creative activity, research, scholarship, and teaching, students are prepared for careers as performers, composers, teachers, and independent scholars, and for advanced study.
The CSUEB Department of Music promises to
- Cherish the distinct identity of each student by cultivating meaningful relationships and tailoring personal educational journeys.
- Recognize the unique circumstances of our students, including their complicated personal lives, and strive to offer sound and flexible advising and educational experiences tailored to each student's specific needs.
- Deliver expert and practical instruction and coursework while upholding the highest academic standards expected of a department accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
- Empower our students by acknowledging their status as aspiring professionals, respecting their individual artistic and personal expressions, and honoring their lived experiences.
- Adjust to the dynamic and ever-changing landscape of the music profession and ensure that our students are equipped with resilient educational experiences that will serve them beyond their academic years.
Your success as a CSUEB student studying music is our mission. We are dedicated to fostering an environment where your individuality is celebrated, your unique circumstances are understood, and your aspirations are supported by a curriculum that combines professionalism with excellence and rigor. Our commitment extends beyond the classroom, aiming to empower you as a future music professional. Together, we adapt to the ever-evolving musical landscape, ensuring that your educational experiences equip you for success well beyond graduation.
Composition/Music Production ShowcaseCSU East Bay is one of the most diverse university campuses in the United States, and the music department is no exception. We acknowledge that music of all genres and from all cultures are valid modes of artistic expression and are worthy of academic study. As such, the CSUEB Composition Studio has no stylistic or genre-based requirements or preferences when it comes to the music that our students write.
At the heart of our thriving music community is the Music Resource Center (MRC). A depot of performance and study materials for music majors, the MRC boasts a robust collection of scores, parts, and media materials (LPs, CDs, Videos, and DVDs) that help to positively augment the curricular offerings at CSU East Bay. This office also coordinates room scheduling and handles concert and student recital scheduling and printed program production. READ MORE >>
There are over 24 practice rooms throughout the building, on both floors. They are reserved for music majors and minors, and are available for use anytime the music building is open. READ MORE >>