Music Minor

A music minor is a great option for a student who is passionate about music but who chooses to major in another field. Our program aims to broaden, as well as deepen, students' understanding of the art of music and offers a good deal of flexibility, as outlined in the requirements below.

Music Theory. Take 6 units from the following courses: Note: It is recommended that the following be taken concurrently: MUS 111 & MUS 115 and MUS 112 & MUS 116.

Keyboard. Placement determined by instructor.  Take 2 units from the following:

Lower Division Electives. Take 3 units from the following:

Upper Division Electives. Take 9 units from the following: 

How To Declare

Declaring minor in writing is an important step in establishing your student record. Undergraduate students who wish to wish to add the Music Minor should use the Change of Major, Minor, or Concentration Form available on the MyCompass forms website. The form will be routed electronically to the appropriate department for approval and then to Registrar’s for processing. Once a form is submitted online a student can view the status of their electronic form submission by selecting the “Submitted Forms” tab on the MyCompass forms website.

Make sure you contact the Department of Music before you start the process of declaring the Music Minor:

Department of Music
Music Building, MB 2569
Phone: (510) 885-3135