- Music Department
- About Us
- Prospective Students
- Student Resources
- Music Ensembles
- Faculty & Staff
- News & Events
How To Declare
A music minor is a great option for a student who is passionate about music but who chooses to major in another field. Our program aims to broaden, as well as deepen, students' understanding of the art of music and offers a good deal of flexibility.
Declaring minor in writing is an important step in establishing your student record. Undergraduate students who wish to wish to add the Music Minor should use the Change of Major, Minor, or Concentration form available on the MyCompass forms website. The form will be routed electronically to the appropriate department for approval and then to Registrar’s for processing. Once a form is submitted online a student can view the status of their electronic form submission by selecting the “Submitted Forms” tab on the MyCompass forms website.
Make sure you contact the Department of Music before you start the process of declaring the Music Minor.
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone:(510) 885-3135
- Office: MB 2569
Navigate to the catalog details for the Music Minor
The Music Minor consists of 21 units, split into three categories: fundamentals (6 units), performance skills (3 units), and music electives (12 units).
Music Fundamentals (6 units)
The following courses are required. The sequence covers basic fundamentals of music reading, writing and singing, along with knowledge of chord construction and basic music progressions.
Note: Students with basic knowledge of music will be able to substitute these units for other pre-approved lower-division music units after a successful assessment from the Music Department.
- MUS 108 - The Language of Music Units: 3 ; Breadth Area: GE-C1
- MUS 111 - Music Theory I Units: 2
- MUS 115 - Aural Skills I Units: 1
Performance Skills (3 units)
Take 3 units from the following. Placement determined by the Music Department based on the student’s skills and needs.Note: Students are able to substitute no more than 1 applied unit (private lessons on a instrument or voice) with permission from the department. Note that all students taking applied lessons are required to be registered for at least 5 music units, 1 of which needs to be a major performing ensemble.
- MUS 103A - Elementary Piano for Non-Majors I Units: 1
- MUS 103B - Elementary Piano for Non-Majors II Units: 1
- MUS 118 - Keyboard Musicianship I Units: 1
- MUS 119 - Keyboard Musicianship II Units: 1
- MUS 218 - Keyboard Musicianship III Units: 1
- MUS 235 - Basic Guitar Techniques Units: 1
- MUS 236 - Basic Vocal Techniques Units: 1
- MUS 317 - Improvisation Techniques I Units: 1
Music Electives (12 units)
Take 12 units from the following in consultation with departmental advisor. At least 3 units of which must be in a performance ensemble:
- MUS 351-MUS 359 are major performing ensembles (choir, band, jazz band) and are repeatable for 8 units.
- MUS 360-370 are chamber ensembles and are repeatable for 4 units.
Note: Students are able to substitute at most 3 units with applied units (private lessons on a instrument,voice or composition/music production) with permission from the department. Note that all students taking applied lessons are required to be registered for at least 5 music units, 1 of which needs to be a major performing ensemble.
- MUS 112 - Music Theory II Units: 2
- MUS 116 - Aural Skills II Units: 1
- MUS 121 - Music Through the Ages Units: 3 ; Breadth Area: GE-C1
- MUS 211 - Music Theory III Units: 2
- MUS 215 - Aural Skills III Units: 1
- MUS 280 - Composers Workshop Units: 1
- MUS 302 - What to Listen for in Music Units: 3 ; Breadth Area: GE-UD-C ; Diversity
- MUS 304 - World Music & Culture Units: 3 ; Breadth Area: GE-UD-C
- MUS 305 - Global Hip-Hop Units: 3 ; Breadth Area: GE-UD-C
- MUS 325 - Music and Culture of Bali Units: 3
- MUS 341 - Basic Conducting Units: 3
- MUS 381 - Essentials of Music Technology Units: 3
- MUS 414 - Contemporary Orchestration and Arranging Units: 3
- MUS 415 - MIDI Orchestration Units: 3
- MUS 441 - Intermediate Conducting Units: 3
- MUS 446 - Vocal Pedagogy Units: 2
- MUS 485 - Sound Design I: Sampling, Editing, and Mixing Units: 3
- MUS 486 - Sound Design II: Synthesis, Modulation & Creative Digital Signal Processing Units: 3