Information for Employees and Contractors

Information for Employees and Contractors
Driving University Vehicles Driving Personal Vehicles
Required Authorizations
  1. DMV Employer Pull Notice-Authorization For Release of Driver Record information (Complete/Sign/Submit form to SA 2600)
  1. DMV Employer Pull Notice-Authorization For Release of Driver Record information (Complete/Sign/Submit form to SA 2600)
  2. Authorization To Use Privately Owned Vehicles On State Business Form 261 by annually completing/Signing/Submitting Form 261 to Accounting)
Required Trainings
Rules, Policies, Laws Use of University and Private Vehicle Guide

Liability Insurance

The State of California has been self-insured for its motor vehicle liability risks under the State Motor Vehicle Liability Self-Insurance Program (VELSIP) since 1977. The Office of Risk and Insurance Management (ORIM) administers this formal self-insurance program that duplicates most functions of automobile insurance companies.

Personal liability insurance is primary coverage when an accident occurs affecting a private vehicle during official state business. The SMVIA will provide coverage only after the private carrier’s policy limits are exhausted by payment.

Rental vehicles rented from one of the approved state contract rental car companies are covered for up to $500,000 in liability insurance. After that, the SMVIA insurance pool provides coverage. Student Travel Insurance

Cal State East Bay students are covered for accidents and related medical care while traveling to or from or participating in (excluding athletics) mandatory or sponsored university activity. Personal insurance is considered primary. (See Risk Management - Insurance - Student Travel Accident Insurance

Vehicle Accidents

Vehicle accidents during university business and involving university vehicles must be reported.

  • Obtain a police report number if a report is completed.
  • Report any accident immediately to Risk Management (510) 885-2743.
  • Complete/sign/submit the Vehicle Accident forms (Standard Form 269 and Standard Form 270)
  • Immediately report bodily injury or property damage to the CA Office of Risk and Insurance Management (ORIM) at (916) 322-0459. Weekend voicemail messages can be left at (916) 322- 8967.
  • Inform your supervisor for them to complete/sign/submit Supervisor's State Driver Accident Review Form STD 274

Medical Injuries

State Employees involved in vehicle accidents on state business who sustain bodily injuries may receive medical attention from the California State University’s designated Workers’ Compensation provider or their pre-designated physician or health care provider. Immediately contact the campus Worker’s Compensation Program at (510) 885-7668 for information and a claim form, if needed.

Registered volunteers and certain interns may be eligible for workers’ compensation and should contact the coordinator identified above.

All other parties involved in a state vehicle car accident may receive treatment or medical attention at the nearest or preferred hospital or clinic. Liability Claims may then be filed with the Victim Compensation Board for reasonable and documented medical expenses related to the accident.

The Motor Vehicle Liability Self-Insurance Program does not provide coverage for uninsured motorists.