- Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
- Institutional Review Board
- IRB News & Updates
- IRB Meeting Schedule and Submission Deadlines
- Frequently Asked Questions
- IRB helpful tips
- Does My Research Require Review?
- IRB Forms & Templates
- Protocol Submission
- Review Categories
- Review Process
- Review Decisions
- Criteria for Approval or Suspension of Research
- Normal Educational Practices Considered Exempt From Full Committee Review
- How to Facilitate IRB Protocol Review
- Issues of Special Concern
- Complete Protocol Package
- Protocol Guidelines
- How to Obtain Consent
- Elements of Voluntary Informed Consent
- Guidelines for Obtaining Assent from Minors
- Human Subjects Research Training Course
- Modification Review
- Continuation Review
- Adverse Events
- Protocol Deviation/Violation
- Use of Deception in Research
- Understanding Reliance Agreements
- Other Resources
- IRB Membership (2023-2024)
- Centers and Institutes at CSUEB
- Policies, Procedures, and Resources
- Forms Library
- Monitoring Tools
Federal regulations state that IRB approval may not be given for periods longer than 1 year. If a research project will last for more than one year, continuation review or annual report will be required.
To request a continuation review, the researcher will log into the Cayuse system, choose their original approved study and on the right click "New Submission, and choose "Renewal."
For any revisions or amendments to the original protocol, prior to the time to submit the continuation, choose the Study, Click the "New Submission button," choose Modification.
Research projects must be renewed before the expiration date stated in the approval letter from the Institutional Review Board. Be sure to allow adequate time for review to take place. Typically, continuation review takes 1 week for exempt research, 3 weeks for expeditable research and 4-5 weeks for research which requires full review.