International Admission FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

An "official" document is one that has been issued by, authenticated by or attested to be a true copy of the original document by the awarding university in a closed/sealed envelope.

If your school issued only one original transcript, graduation certificate and/or Bachelor's degree certificate, you should follow your university's policy to request that they attest or verify the copies to be true copies of the original. Ask your university to place these attested copies in a sealed envelope with a school stamp across the envelope flap.

Spring 2021 applicants

All documents can be sent via email to for processing. These documents will be accepted as unofficial in order to provide an admission decision. If an offer of admission is extended, the official academic records and test scores will be required.

Fall 2021 applicants

Each applicant will receive a unique link via email to submit application documents. If an offer of admission is extended, the official academic records and test scores will be requested.

Your degree must be equivalent to a 4-year U.S. Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution. An official determination of eligibility will be made during the application process.

3-year bachelor’s degrees may be considered when applying to the following programs:

  • College of Business: M.S. Accountancy, M.B.A. (all concentrations), M.S. Business Analytics (students will need to show additional proof of experience as well), M.S. Economics
  • College of Science:  M.S. Chemistry, M.S. Construction Management
  • College of Education and Allied Studies:  M.S Counseling (School Counseling concentration), M.S. Education (Online Teaching and Learning concentration), M.S Kinesiology
  • College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences: M.A. Communication, M.S. Health Care Administration, M.A. History, M.A. Interaction Design and Interactive Art, M.A. Music,
For all other graduate programs, 3-year degrees from India are not considered equivalent to a 4-year U.S. bachelor’s degree, but :
  • If you have a 3-year bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree you may be eligible to apply for a graduate program at Cal State East Bay. You should email for pre-admission counseling to determine which programs you are eligible to apply for.
  • For those applicant’s that are not eligible for a graduate program, we invite you to apply for undergraduate admissions.

The International Admissions Office does not require applicants to submit third party evaluations. In addition, we will not accept evaluations in lieu of official academic records.

Unfortunately, we are not able to offer this service. All documents received will be treated as University property and will not be returned. Instead, please email your unofficial academic records to

For more information, please click here.

At this time, Cal State East Bay is not offering application deferrals.

You can only apply to one degree program at a time. It may be possible to apply for a degree program and a program offered through the American Language Program at the same time.

If you have previously applied to Cal State East Bay and have already submitted your admission documents (transcripts, certificates, diplomas, mark sheets, and test scores) to the International Admissions Office, you will not be required to resubmit them again. Please note: in order for the International Admissions Office to reuse previously submitted documents, applicants will be required to send an email to

International Admissions assists all international applicants who have indicated on their application that they hold a non-immigrant visa or intend to have such a visa.  International Admissions also assists all applicants (including US citizens, permanent residents and those residents in all other categories) who have indicated on their application that they have attended an educational institution outside of the U.S. The office has international transcript evaluators on staff trained to evaluate transcripts from outside of the U.S.

Accepted students who are in a legal immigration status that permits permanent California residency (US citizens, permanent residents, etc.) may request consideration for California residency for tuition purposes. Generally, establishing California residence for tuition purposes requires a combination of physical presence and intent to remain indefinitely. Please be sure to submit a Residence Questionnaire form with supporting documentation. More information on California residency can be found here.  

Just because a student is or has been a resident of the State of California does not mean that he or she qualifies to receive the in-state tuition rate. Certain requirements, established under California law, must be met. Residence status is based on the Application for Admission, Residence Questionnaire, Reclassification Request Form, or, as necessary, other evidence as furnished by the student. A student who fails to submit adequate information to establish a right to classification as a California resident will be classified as a nonresident. The burden of proof of residency rests solely with the student.

Some departments may require applicants to submit supplemental documents such as test results (GRE or GMAT), letters of recommendation or a separate application that needs to be turned in. These documents should be mailed directly to the academic departments and there may be an earlier deadline for these documents. Applicants are strongly advised to contact their department to research these additional requirements.

As a state institution we are unable to offer financial aid to international students.

International students may be eligible for some merit-based scholarships available to admitted and continuing students. For more information, please see Pioneer Scholarships.

International applicants that would like to request a change of major prior to acceptance should complete this form. 

Applicant Change of Major Request Form