New Admitted Student FAQ

COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for New International Students Fall 2021

We understand that you may have many questions about starting your program this Fall.  We are carefully monitoring the situation due to the nature of COVID-19, so this information is subject to change.  As more information becomes available, we will update this page.

The majority of our classes, both undergraduate and graduate, will be offered online for Fall 2021.  If you have questions about the mode of instruction for the courses you are interested in, the class schedule page provides tips for reading the class schedule format.

International Programs staff held several Q&A sessions throughout the summer and virtual pre-departure orientations to prepare students admitted for Fall 2021.  Please also see our orientation page and mandatory immigration check-in information for those who will be in the U.S. in the fall.

California State University, East Bay COVID Updates


Updated August 25, 2021

New F-1 Initial I-20 Students and Travel to the United States

No. Currently, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) does NOT allow international students to enter the U.S. to pursue fully remote programs. You are permitted to begin your program online overseas.

Yes, if you have the following, you are eligible to enter the USA

  1. A valid passport
  2. A valid F-1 visa
  3. An Initial I-20 from CSUEB for Fall 2021
  4. Are enrolled full time (12 units for undergraduate and 8 units for graduate) and at least 1 class is in-person or hybrid. The in-person/hybrid class must count towards your degree requirements and you must remain enrolled in the class for the duration of Fall 2021 semester.  

If you have any questions regarding classes, please contact your major (department) advisor.

Option 1: Start your program in Fall 2021 taking online classes remotely from outside the U.S.

This means you can start your program online while you are in your home country. You should check the Fall schedule to determine the times and dates of classes.  Some classes may be offered asynchronously, meaning that there are no certain times or dates that you must meet, this is noted in the schedule. There is no minimum unit requirement so you can decide how many classes you want to take. If you plan to begin your program of study online this Fall 2021, please complete this FALL 2021 ENROLLMENT FORM. Please note you must be signed into your horizon email account in order to complete this form. If you do not have access to Google, please use the Adobe Sign Fall 2021 Enrollment Form.

Option 2: Defer your admission to a later semester

On August 1, 2021, the International Admissions Office will post a link on the this page that will permit admitted students to request a deferral of their admission acceptance to either the Spring 2022 semester or the Fall 2022 semester.  A decision to defer must be made before the Fall semester begins (by August 14, 2021), so there will be a limited window in August to advise us of your plans.  Please note that some graduate departments may not be able to permit the automatic deferral, but our International Admissions team will guide you through the options if that is the case.  

Provisionally admitted students will still be required to submit official transcripts by October 15, 2021.

You do not need to do anything with your F-1 visa. You can enter the U.S. with that F-1 visa when you are ready, and the situation allows you to come to the U.S. Please be sure to contact to request an updated I-20 for the Spring 2022 arrival.

We recommend that you print out an enrollment verification letter through MYCSUEB, and also print out a copy of your class schedule (which shows when & where the classes are meeting).

We understand that there continue to be many hurdles for students in obtaining F-1 student visas due to challenges beyond anyone’s control.  Students are expected to arrive in the United States prior to August 18.  Arrival beyond that date is at the discretion of the U.S. Custom and Border Protection.  Students are strongly discouraged from trying to enter the US after August 31st.    Make sure you have your I-20, letter of acceptance, copy of course schedule, and this letter to present to immigration authorities upon your arrival at your port of entry into the US.   If you have serious time delays, please contact
No, the date listed on your I-20 is the date that CSUEB has reported as the official start date of our semester.  You are expected to officially be enrolled on this date and actively participating in online components of your classes.

Current U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidance requires international arrivals to provide either documentation of a World Health Organization (WHO) authorized vaccine for COVID-19 or negative COVID-19 test results procured within three days of their departure to the United States.  See CDC guidance on International Travel During COVID-19 for more details.

Unvaccinated individuals traveling to the San Francisco Bay Area are asked to self-quarantine upon arrival.  Per the California Department of Public Health, after travel, self-quarantine for 7 days, even if you have a negative COVID test upon arrival. If you don’t get tested, self-quarantine for 10 days.  San Francisco International Airport has provided links and guidance on their COVID-19 page which may be of assistance:

The Student Health and Counseling Services webpage lists currently required immunizations here.  

The California State University system has also announced that it will require faculty, staff and students who are accessing campus facilities at any university location to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Cal State East Bay will align with this requirement, and anyone who plans to be at the Hayward, Concord or Oakland Center campuses must be vaccinated or have a valid exemption. To allow time to become fully vaccinated or to request an exemption, the effective date of this requirement at Cal State East Bay will be September 15, 2021. Please see the Return to campus/COVID-19 information website for more information and, if you are fully vaccinated, please attest your vaccine as soon as possible and no later than September 15.

The COVID-19 vaccination requirement will allow for students to seek an exemption based on medical or religious grounds. 

Vaccines are now readily available throughout the San Francisco Bay Area and are free to all.  Our COVID-19 Vaccine webpage has information on how to get vaccines.  


Deferral of Admission

The deadline for fall deferrals was August 14th.  We are no longer accepting deferral requests for admitted students through the Office of International Admissions (IAO.)  We invite applicants to reapply for a future term.  If you have submitted documents and you reapply for another term within one year, please notify IAO at so that we can try to locate your prior document submissions.  If you were accepted for a prior term there are no guarantees that your application will be accepted for a future term.

If you submitted a deferral application to move your acceptance from fall 2021 to spring 2022, you should be able to check your status on mycsueb  after August 23rd.   If you submitted a deferral from fall 2021 to fall 2022, you should be able to check your status on mycsueb after October 8th.  We only accept deferrals from applicants who completed the deferral forms.  

In September, a representative from the Center for International Education (CIE) will reach out to you to explain the process.  If you received an F-1 student visa using your current I-20, you will not need to obtain another visa. 
Provisionally admitted students will still be required to submit official transcripts by October 15, 2021.

Transferring to Cal State East Bay from an institution in the United States.

Yes. If you plan to pursue study in the U.S., you must receive a transfer pending I-20 from Cal State East Bay and enroll in at least 12 units at Cal State East Bay.

Please note the Important Dates page for information regarding payment deadlines.

Before you transfer your SEVIS record to CSUEB, please contact

Prepare for class registration

If you have a hold for Fall 2021 transcripts, you have missed the deadline to submit documents or extend the deadline and will need to reapply.

New students for Fall 2021 who were provisionally admitted and have received a new document deadline of October 15, 2021 should submit official documents to the International Admissions Office as follows: 

  • By Mail: Send to the International Admissions Office, Cal State East Bay, 25800 Carlos Bee Blvd., SF102, Hayward, CA 94542.
  • Electronic Transcripts/Mark Sheets and Degree Certificates:  Please email the documents to The documents must be sent directly from the institution’s registrar’s office or office of examinations. The International Admissions Office reserves the right to verify the sender of these documents before accepting them as official. 
  • In Person Drop Off: Hand-delivered in a sealed envelope from the institution to Cal State East Bay’s International Admissions Office located in the Student and Faculty Support building on the Hayward Campus in SF102. 
Your provisional admission will not be cleared until you meet all university requirements.  If you will be unable to meet the October 15, 2021 deadline, we recommend that you reapply for a future term.

Students who will be taking classes from inside the U.S. must maintain adequate health insurance coverage during their period of enrollment in the California State University System. For international students who are enrolled online during the COVID 19 pandemic and are verifiably out of the country, this provision may be waived.  Please see our Health Insurance webpage to either enroll in insurance or request a waiver for Fall 2021.

A ‘hold’ for international student health insurance is automatically placed in MYCSUEB for all F-1 students.  The international health insurance hold will prevent you from registering for classes in Fall 2021.    

If you plan to pursue study in the U.S. you will need to purchase insurance.  If you will be taking online classes from outside the U.S. in Fall 2021 you may request a waiver of the insurance requirement.

Please review the following page to access both the link to purchase, as well as the waiver request form:

Undergraduate first-year (freshman) students seeking bachelor degrees can email for advising and class selection.

Transfer Students please contact your major department for major advising. For GE advising you can contact

Graduate students seeking master's degrees: Contact your graduate department coordinator for assistance selecting your classes.

First Time Freshman have a minimum unit requirement. Please contact for more information. There is no required minimum number of units for graduate students or upper division transfers. Cal State East Bay Registrar’s Office allows both undergraduate and graduate students to register up to 18 units. Special permission is required, if you want to register for more than 18 units.Some graduate departments have limits during the open enrollment period, please contact your graduate department for more information.

Employment Eligibility


You have to complete 2 consecutive semesters as a full time student in F-1 status (inside the USA) to be eligible for any off campus employment opportunities such as CPT or OPT.

CPT Information

OPT Information 

Cal State East Bay Tuition and Fees

Tuition and Fees for California State University, East Bay are set by the Board of Trustees of the California State University on an annual basis. Information about tuition and fees can be found  If you have any questions about tuition and fees, please address them to