Admitted International Student Checklist

As an admitted student, complete these steps to prepare for your enrollment at Cal State East Bay:

Requirements for All Incoming International Students (before arriving in the US)

  1. Activate your NetID  a nd set your password. A NetID is your personal Cal State East Bay identification number which gives you access to online student self-service systems like MyCSUEB and your Horizon e-mail.  If you need to reset your password you can do so at   Your NetID was sent to you at the time of application and with your letter of admission. In order to better protect the identity and data of students, CSUEB has implemented multi-factor authentication as an additional security measure, also known on campus as Duo authentication. To enroll your NetID account with Duo, go to  click on the “Enroll in Duo” button.

  2. Check your Horizon E-mail account often for important messages regarding your academic standing, classes, and fees. It is the student's responsibility to check their Horizon e-mail regularly for official university notices.

  3. After you receive your admission packet and I-20 or DS-2019, pay the I-901  SEVIS fee at I-901 Fee.   In order to get your student visa, you must present proof of your I-901 SEVIS Fee payment at your visa interview, so print a receipt of payment after you have completed your I-901 payment.

  4. Make a visa appointment at a U.S. embassy or consulate to apply for a visa(See  How to Prepare for your F-1 Visa Interview.)

  5. Accept Admission through your MyCSUEB ( Log in to your MyCSUEB account and select "Accept Admission" from the list of links on the left side of the page.  Once you have accepted the offer, undergraduate students will be prompted to pay a required fee  that will be applied towards mandatory orientation (there are no fees for graduate international students).  By accepting your admission, you will be notifying Cal State East Bay of your plans to attend Cal State East Bay thus allowing the school to hold your place in the entering class

  6. Submit all MyCSUEB “To Do List” items and Clear Any Holds ( My CSUEB).  View your personal “To Do List” items that need to be completed and submitted through MyCSUEB. If it says “Initiated” under Item Status, it means the document has been requested. You will have a hold on your registration until these documents are submitted. 

  7. For F-1 and J-1 students only: Purchase Medical Insurance. California State University, East Bay requires international students in F-1 or J-1 status to maintain health insurance that meets certain standards. You will need to provide evidence of health insurance before enrolling in classes. For more information, see the International Students Insurance Web page.

  8. Register for Classes:  See  How to Register for Classes

    • First-time freshmen undergraduate students may contact the Academic Advisor for Undergraduate International Students Sam Tran ( to enroll in classes.

    • Transfer  students should check MyCSUEB for an appointment time to find out when to register for classes and may contact the Academic Advisor for Undergraduate International Students Sam Tran ( if you have questions.  

    • Graduate students must contact your academic advisor in your academic department.  Email or call your academic advisor in your major department regarding selection of classes. Be sure to refer to the University Catalog for a description of courses. Be prepared to discuss any questions you might have regarding your academic program with your academic advisor.

  9. Plan and book your international travel to arrive in time to attend an orientation. Attending orientation is important for all new international students.  (NOTE:  For F-1 students the earliest date you can arrive to the U.S. is 30 days prior to the program start date listed in the section titled "Program of Study" on page #1 of your CSUEB I-20.  The last date that you can enter the U.S. is on the program start date listed in the section titled "Program of study on page #1 of your CSUEB I-20.)  

  10. Check transportation options to get to CSUEB from area airports (see Arrival Information for Admitted Students). If you would like an airport pickup, you may request one Airport Pickup Form  

  11. Get any required immunizations and have your doctor complete the  Immunization Form which you will need to mail, fax or deliver in person to the Student Health Center on campus.

  12. Make your Living Arrangements.   Research your housing options early to secure living accommodations in the U.S.   Students may apply to live in On-Campus Housing or may choose to live Off-Campus.  If you aren't able to confirm your permanent housing before arriving in the U.S., arrange for temporary accommodations.

See new student checklist for additional requirements for International Students to do upon arrival in the U.S.