Advising and Course Selection

New transfer students do not need a Degree Audit Report (DAR) or General Education advising prior to enrolling in the first few quarters at CSUEB since the majority of coursework needed to graduate will be in your major.

Students are encouraged to receive academic advising from their major department and focus on major-specific courses first. These requirements are in addition to General Education and graduation requirements. View a list of academic departments to determine how to receive major advising.

All CSUEB students must complete the following graduation requirements. These courses are a good choice for a new transfer students to complete in their first few quarters of attendance.

  • Upper-Division GE requirements: Completion of three upper-division General Education courses. One course must be taken at a CSU campus in each of these areas: B6-Science, C4-Humanities, and D4-Social.
  • American Institutions/Code requirement: Completion of 2-3 courses in US History, US Government, and CA state/local government.
  • Performing Arts and Activities/Area F requirement: Completion of four quarter units of activity-based coursework, such as PE activity, applied music and art, theatre production, or acting.
  • Cultural Groups and/or Women in the US (CGW) requirement: Completion of one class to address cultural and/or women’s group(s) and their contribution to the US, which may overlap with GE or major.
  • 2nd English Composition requirement: Completion of Engl 1002 or an equivalent lower-division course followed by the upper-division Writing Skills Test or other method of satisfying the UWSR.

View Academic Advising and Career Education’s Guide for New Transfer Students to learn more about these requirements and how to search for these courses in MyCSUEB.

Where to Receive Advising

View a full list of academic advising departments available to assist students depending on their need or affiliation.

GE Advising – consult an academic advisor in the Academic Advising and Career Education Center for General Education advising.

Major Advising – consult an academic advisor in your major department for major advising.

Minor Advising – consult an academic advisor in your minor department for minor advising.

STAR Act (SB1440) Advising – if a STAR Act student, consult an academic advisor in your major department prior to enrolling in your first quarter classes.