Top NavTop NavTop Nav


Students cannot "drop" after the end of the Add/Drop period, but they can "withdraw" until the twelfth (12th) week of the semester. The word "withdrawal" refers to official termination of enrollment in a class after the Add/Drop period. Students can withdraw from a class only for serious health or personal problems beyond their control. If they withdraw from a class, the class will appear on their record with a grade of "W."

To withdraw from individual courses, complete a Withdrawal Form. On the form, state the reason for the withdrawal, and follow the instructions on the form to obtain required signatures. Incomplete forms will not be processed. International students must also obtain permission from the Center for International Education prior to submitting a withdrawal form.

A withdrawal may not automatically result in a fee refund. Students should consult with Student Financial Services for any questions about fee refunds related to withdrawing from classes.If you are receiving financial aid, be sure to consult with a counselor in the Office of Financial Aid as some types of aid must be repaid in the event of a withdrawal.

Deadlines for all withdrawals can be found under "Important Dates" on the University website. The deadline for withdrawing from a shorter session, including summer or winter, is different than the semester deadline and students should consult the website for all deadline dates.

Deliver the form to the Enrollment Information Center, first floor of the Student Services and Administration Building on the Hayward Campus, or to the Academic Service Center on the Concord Campus.

Or you may Fax or mail the form to:

Office of the Registrar
California State University, East Bay
25800 Carlos Bee Blvd.
Hayward, CA 94542
Fax: (510) 885-3816

If the withdrawal is approved, the class will appear on your record with a grade of "W". For more information review the complete policy in the University Catalog.

© California State University, East Bay. All Rights Reserved.