Frequently Asked Questions

It is your responsibility to inform your major and minor departments that you have filed for graduation. The departments will then begin the major and minor check process to certify that you have completed all graduation requirements.

To update your term of graduation, submit a Request to Postpone or Cancel Graduation form located on the MyCompass forms website. The form will electronically route to  your major department for approval. If you are a student with 144 semester units or more the form will additionally route to the Dean of Academic Programs and Services for approval and then will go to Registrar’s for processing. If you select to cancel your graduation then the form will route directly to the Registrar’s Office for processing. Once the request is implemented, your request to update or cancel graduation cannot be undone.

  • Undergraduate students will be charged a $25 fee whenever their term of graduation is postponed; this fee will be charged whether the postponement is initiated by the student or a graduation evaluator has determined graduation is not feasible for the prescribed term. Graduate students are not required to pay the graduation postponement fee. There is no fee for any student to cancel their graduation. 
  • You can only postpone one time to the next consecutive semester, otherwise you will need to cancel your graduation and refile by the deadline.
  • To receive a priority registration appointment time for your proposed new term of graduation you must update by the Priority Deadline listed below. Students that apply for graduation after the Priority Deadline will not be eligible for priority registration.
Deadline for Registration
Graduation Term Priority Deadline (for priority registration) Late Deadline (not eligible for priority registration)


Oct 1

Nov 1


March 1

April 1

No, all coursework, tests, and required assignments must be completed by the last day of the term to qualify for graduation in that term.

No grade may be changed once graduation has been recorded unless an error has been made, in which case students have one term after their degree has been awarded to dispute the grade and have it corrected, or if a fairness petition has resulted in a grade change.

The name you have on record with the University will appear on your diploma. If you wish to request an official name change, please download and submit the Personal Data Change form with appropriate documentation. The form has detailed instructions.

Your diploma will be mailed to your permanent address on file with the University. You may change your permanent address yourself in MyCSUEB.

Contact your department for major or minor check requirements. For other questions, please send a notice by e-mail from your Horizon e-mail account to, or call the Office of the Registrar at (510) 885-2784.

To contact your department, call University General Information at (510) 885-3000.