- Teacher Education
- Department Information
- Programs & Admissions
- Student Resources
- Program Handbook Multiple and Single Subject
- Overview & Welcome
- Department Organization & Contact Information
- Professional e-Portfolio
- Individualized Development Plan
- Fieldwork Overview
- Student Teaching
- Fieldwork Policies
- University Policies
- Preliminary Credential Recommendation Process
- Master’s of Science in Education Programs
- Subject Matter Competency Information
Reading and Literacy
The Department of Teacher Education at California State University, East Bay offers two levels for graduate study in the area of reading and language arts:
The Reading and Literacy Added Authorization (RLAA) is granted by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) upon recommendation by Cal State East Bay. It authorizes service as a reading specialist at a school site. This program is
The Master of Science in Reading and Literacy is granted by Cal State East Bay. Candidates who have earned the Reading and Literacy Added Authorization or previously earned the Reading and Language Arts Specialist Credential, are eligible to continue their graduate studies and earn the M.S. degree. This program is
If you completed your credential within five years of the MS completion date (7 years with a waiver), you may complete the 30 units including the Reading Added Authorization courses (14 units) and MS courses (7 units) by bringing in 9 units of coursework from an accredited credential program. If you completed your credential over five years beyond MS completion date (7 years with a waiver), the electives TED 670, 671, and 672 may be completed to meet this remaining 9-unit requirement. The entire program, including the Reading and Literacy Added Authorization and the Master's
Upon successful completion of coursework and three or more years of classroom teaching, candidates will be recommended for the state-issued Reading Literacy Added Authorization. Candidates with less than three years of teaching experience are welcome to complete the program and apply for the Reading and Literacy Added Authorization once they have the required classroom teaching experience. Candidates complete three more graduate courses to receive
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
The document deadline is April 15, 2023.
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited university.
- GPA of 3.0 in upper division undergraduate courses and post-baccalaureate courses.
- Statement of Purpose
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- A valid Multiple Subject or Single Subject Teaching Credential.
- Basic Skills Requirement (i.e. CBEST or other valid test)
- Demonstrated potential to become a leader in reading and language arts curriculum and instruction.
Our Reading Instruction program is offered through the University Extension department. Candidates interested in this program will be required to complete BOTH the University Application (Cal State Apply) and the Department application.
Graduates may become specialists in Elementary and Secondary Literacy Development. They may also work in interventionist positions, such as Reading Intervention Teacher, Literacy Coach, District Literacy Specialist, Grade Level Chair, and/or Department Chair.
Reading and Literacy Added Authorization (RLAA)
These six (6) courses for 14 units are required for both the Reading and Literacy Added Authorization and the M.S. in Reading and Literacy:
- TED 660 - Literacy Research and Methods
- TED 661 - Reading Comprehension Research and Methods
- TED 662 - Culture of Literacy: Focus on Diversity
- TED 663 - Literacy Assessment
- TED 664 - Literacy Intervention
- TED 695 - Practicum
Additional M.S. CourseworkIn addition to the courses for the RLAA, the following additional five (5) courses for 13 units are required for the M.S. in Reading and Literacy. TED 670, 671, and 672 are required for students who do not carry units over from a credential program:
- TED 670 - The Science of Reading Foundations
- TED 671 - Early Literacy Foundations
- TED 672 - Secondary Literacy Foundations
- TED 687 - Reading Research & Evaluation
- TED 688 - Research in Education
The following Master’s Project for 3 units is required to complete the M.S. Reading and Literacy degree requirements:
- TED 693 - Master's Project