In general, the university does not encourage chalking as a method of communication due to negative environmental and resource concerns (washing requires water and the potential for introducing pollutants into the storm water system). To reserve space please come to the Student Life and Leadership Programs Office, located in New University Union (UU 2011).
- Only water-soluble chalk may be used.
- Chalk is permitted only on flat, horizontal surfaces – e.g. sidewalks and plazas; chalk is prohibited on vertical surfaces, walls or buildings surfaces.
- Chalk messaging cannot interfere with pedestrian traffic.
- Chalk may be placed no more than 7 days prior to the event and must be removed within one working day following the event.
- Only chalk messaging promoting university events, activities and programs are permitted. All other postings are subject to removal.
- Signs must be identified with the name of the individual or organization responsible for the event, activity or program. Otherwise the posting will be subject to removal.
- All content must be duplicated in its entirety (and fully accessible by the public) on the university website. The corresponding website must contain the following statement concerning accessibility: “Individuals that require accommodations for this event please contact Accessibility Services by [10 business days prior to event date]. email: firstname.lastname@example.org | phone: 510-885-3868.”
- Removal of chalk messaging, other than by the posting party or university personnel acting in pursuant to their duties, is prohibited.
- Content written in a language other than English must contain an English translation.
- Postings not in compliance with these guidelines will be subject to removal.
Reserving Sidewalk Chalk Locations
To reserve space please come to the Student Life and Leadership Programs Office, located in New University Union (UU 2011). Campus-affiliated organizations may post chalk messaging in designated locations on campus. Chalk messaging may be posted for a maximum of one week.
Campus-affiliated organizations may reserve a maximum of three spaces per week. Each organization is allowed a maximum of two weeks per semester for displaying messaging. The sponsoring organization is responsible for removing chalk.