Licensing Guidelines

The primary goals of the trademark licensing program at Cal State East Bay are to:

  • Protect the trademarks, service marks, logos, symbols and indicia that belong to the university and that are associated with the values and traditions of the university.
  • Promote the university in a consistent manner by allowing use by officially licensed vendors only and on quality products.
  • Create revenue from the sale of licensed merchandise.

Licensing Overview

Cal State East Bay has contracted with Learfield Licensing to help manage the university’s trademark and licensing program. Learfield Licensing helps to administer the application process, collect royalties, assist with artwork approvals, and provide guidance with enforcement. Learfield Licensing’s website has more information about collegiate licensing to further assist a potential licensee.

Prior to the production of any merchandise containing Cal State East Bay marks, licensees must submit a copy of any and all artwork to be used on the product. Artwork approval is required for each new design or application produced, regardless of who orders it. This includes merchandise ordered by university departments and student groups/organizations, and is in addition to any approval that is required by the individual orderer.

License Types

There are various types of licensing available through Cal State East Bay, depending on the type of product, and where you intend to sell it. The application fee for California State East Bay is $250, and the renewal fee each year is $150. There are two separate license types offered to manufacturers:

  • Standard License — allows you to produce products for resale, including, but not limited to, wholesale and retail.
  • Internal Usage License — allows you to produce products intended to be sold directly to the university that are not for resale. This does not include sales to the University Bookstore. This license only applies when items of internal usage are exempt from royalties.

Licensee Application Process

To begin the licensing process, prospective licensees are required to complete an application, and forward it to the Learfield Licensing office at the following address:

Learfield Licensing
Attn: Licensing Application
8900 Keystone Crossing, Suite 605
Indianapolis, IN 60642

Upon approval from the Cal State East Bay, license applicants will receive a licensing agreement. Once a signed agreement is returned to Learfield Licensing, the applicant will be fully licensed and will appear on the university’s approved vendor list.

The license application is available through the Learfield Licensing website under Quick Links:


What qualifies as a trademark, logo or symbol?
Any mark, name, logo, symbol, nickname, abbreviation, word, mascot, slogan, insignia uniform, or landmark that is associated with California State University East Bay and is distinguished from any other university, team, or organization.

What are Cal State East Bay’s trademarks?
A Cal State East Bay trademark is any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word, or derivative that can be associated with the University and can be distinguished from those of other institutions or entities.

Who must be licensed?
Any person, organization, or business that wishes to use the University’s name, logos, marks, indicia or verbiage on any product, video, advertisements, or for any other commercial purpose must have a license prior to production and distribution. This includes businesses that sell to university departments, campus organizations, and student organizations that use the product for fundraising and charity. Manufacturers of products bearing Cal State East Bay marks are required to pay a royalty on the wholesale price of the product.

Cal State East Bay trademark use in traditional news media, treated as news, is not subject to licensing fees.

How long does it take to obtain approval from Learfield Licensing?
A decision on any license request will depend on the nature and extent of the use being applied for, the number of trademarks involved, the number and diversity of products for which the trademark or trademarks will be used, and other possible factors, such as whether the university believes there is a need to seek legal advice on the application. However, in most cases, an answer will be provided in 30 days or fewer.

How can you obtain a licensing application?
The licensing application is available under the Quick Links tab on the Learfield Licensing website.

Do I have to submit art for approval?
Yes, always. Students organizations/club sports, university departments and intercollegiate athletics must utilize licensed vendors that are required to submit the artwork for approval.

Licensees will submit the artwork through Learfield Licensing’s platform, Trademarx.

How much does it cost to become licensed?
The application fee is $250 and the yearly renewal rate is $150.