- Financial Aid
- Financial Aid & The Fee Payment Deadline
- Grad Students
- Información en Español
- Future Students
- Current Students
- For Parents
- Types of Aid
- Financial Aid Appeal
- Study Abroad
- Financial Literacy
- Financial Aid How To's
- Constitution Day
- Paying tuition and fees
- Student Consumer Information
- Campus Resources
- Contact Us
Federal Perkins Loans
Perkins Loans expired on September 30, 2017
Effective October 1, 2017, schools can no longer offer loans to new borrowers.
A Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5 %) loan for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need. Funds come directly from the U.S. government but Cal State East Bay is the lender and borrowers repay loans directly to the University. Although the federal government allocates some additional Perkins Loan funds to schools each year, most of the Perkins funds are from previous Perkins Loan recipients who are now repaying their loans.
Perkins Loan repayment begins 9 months after you drop below half-time enrollment for any reason. You may be allowed up to 10 years to repay your Perkins Loan.
Perkins Loan Debt Cancellation Programs
- Borrowers who teach full-time in designated elementary or secondary schools serving low-income students, full-time teachers in certain subject areas, and full-time teachers of handicapped children may have up to 100% of Perkins Loan debt canceled.
- registered nurses working in eligible facilities located in areas experiencing a shortage of nurses may participate in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Nursing Loan Repayment Program (NELRP)
- enlisted persons in certain specialties of the Armed Forces.
- U.S. Department of Defense may as an enlistment incentive repay a portion of your student loan.
Certain other public service professions also qualify for Perkins Loan cancellation. Contact the Student Financial Services office at (510) 885-3757 ifyou received a Perkins Loan, and believe you qualify for one of these loan cancellation programs.