There are many grant opportunities available to undergraduate and graduate students. Grants are gift assistance to students to pay educational expenses, with no obligation for monetary repayment. Some grants are based on financial need, others are based on academic achievement or merit, and some require a combination of criteria. Each grant has its own fulfillment criteria, application requirements and deadlines.

Some of the grants available include the following:

The Federal Pell Grant provides funds to eligible undergraduate and Teacher Credential students pursuing a first bachelor's degree or teaching credential. Pell Grants are awarded to eligible students without regard to priority filing date. The Pell Grant amount is based on your EFC and full-time enrollment for the academic school year. Pell Grant awards are reduced if you enroll in less than 12 units per semester, including Summer.

Federal Pell Grants
Enrollment status Full Time 3/4 Time Half Time Less than Half Time
Number of Units 12 or more units 9 - 11.99 units 6 - 8.99 units Less than 6 units

Lifetime Eligibility for Pell Grant

Regulations effective July 1, 2012 limit the receipt of a Pell Grant to a lifetime limit of up to 6 full-time years (600%). This includes community colleges, vocational schools and four year public and private universities. This limit will be tracked by the U.S. Department of Education.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants are awarded to eligible undergraduate Pell Grant recipients with exceptional need. Grant award amounts are determined by available funding, award amounts range from $200 - $2,00 per semester. 

Eligible full-time undergraduates admitted through the Educational Opportunity Program may receive EOP Grant funds. Students with EOP admission questions may contact Student Academic Services at (510) 885-3751.

SUG assists with California State University tuition fees. SUG is not available to students enrolled in special session or students whose tuition fees are paid by Cal Grant, tuition waivers or other programs that pay tuition fees.

Eligibility Criteria: 

  • Must be a California Resident
  • Students must be enrolled at least half time (6 units undergraduate/credential and 4 units graduate level);
  • Priority awarding is given to students with an EFC below $5,500 and who have submitted their FAFSA/CADAA by March 2. 
  • Tuition and fees are not paid by another state resource  (Cal Grant, Institutional Waiver, etc).
  • Students pursuing a second bachelor's, second credential, or second master's degree are not eligible for the SUG. The CSU will only fund the first degree.
Additional Guidelines

California State University (CSU) policy limits the length of time for receipt of the SUG. All students must meet the following guidelines to be eligible for a SUG award:

  • Students cannot have accumulated more than 150 semester or 225 quarter units earned in their CSU undergraduate careers;
  • Undergraduate transfer students cannot accumulate more than 75 semester or 113 quarter earned units while enrolled at a CSU campus;
  • Teacher and credential students cannot accumulate more than 30 earned units.
  • Graduate students cannot exceed more than 125% earned units of the required program length. For example: If a MS program is 60 units, a student may receive SUG funding for up to 75 units.
  • Students who are considered 'self-support,' who do not pay the State University Fee are not eligible
Certain units, including advanced placement, international baccalaureate, military credit, and pre-baccalaureate credit and credit by examination will not count against the maximum allowable units.

Cal Grant A

At the California State University, the Cal Grant A assists with tuition fees. This grant is for undergraduate students who are California residents. Cal Grant A cannot exceed the current tuition fees. 

If the student's tuition fees are paid by another state resources (e.g. fee waivers, Vocational Rehabilitation, etc) they will not be eligible to receive fee payment from a Cal Grant. Students must notify the Financial Aid Office if registration fees are paid by any third party.

Grant eligibility will be adjusted from the first day of class through the last day to add/drop (2 weeks after class starts) for each term.

Cal Grant B

Cal Grant B provides a living allowance and tuition fee assistance. Awards for most first-year students are limited to an allowance of up to $1,672 for books and living expenses. When renewed or awarded beyond the freshman year, the award also helps pay for tuition fees. The awards for tuition fees are the same as those for Cal Grant A. Cal Grant B pays only an allowance amount for the first year awards, and allowance and tuition fees for 2nd, 3rd and 4th year recipients.

There are two Cal Grant B awards: Entitlement and Competitive.

  • Every graduating high school senior who has at least a 2.0 GPA, meets the financial and eligibility requirements and applies on time will receive a Cal Grant B Entitlement award.
  • Other eligible students who have at least a 2.0 GPA may apply for a Cal Grant B Competitive award.
  • Selection is based on a composite score that takes into consideration your family's income, parents' educational level, GPA, time out of high school and other factors, such as whether you come from a single-parent household or are a former foster youth.

View WebGrants 4 Students for additional information. 



Cal Grant A/B Fees
Enrollment Amount
Full Time (12+ units) $5,742 ($2,871/semester)
Three Quarter's Time (9-11.99 units) $4,306 ($2,153/semester)
Half Time (6-8.99 units) $2,872 ($1,436/semester)
Less than half time (1-5.99 units) Ineligible


Cal Grant B Access Award
Enrollment Amount
Full Time (12+ units) $1,672 ($836/semester)
Three Quarter's Time (9-11.99 units) $1,254 ($627/semester)
Half Time (6-8.99 units) $836 ($418/semester)
Less than half time (1-5.99 units) Ineligible


Notice to Dreamers:

Please make sure your first and last name on your Dream Act Application matches the name on your Admissions application.  If your names do not match, your award may be delayed.  If you need to update your name or any other personal data on either application, please contact:

a) Admissions Application Updates: contact CSUEB's Records Department to correct your names/DOB/Application ID to match that of what was submitted in the CA Dream Act application.

b) Dream Application Updates:  contact CSAC (California Student Aid Commission) to correct your names to match that of what was submitted to the university.


For more information please contact:

The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant provides up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.Eligible teacher credential students may be awarded after they sign an Agreement to Serve on ED’s TEACH Grant website.   If you do not complete your service obligation, all TEACH Grant funds you received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education (ED), with interest charged from the date the TEACH Grant was disbursed (paid out).

A student whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001 may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. Must be ineligible for a Federal Pell Grant due only to having less financial need than is required to receive Pell funds, be under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death.