- Financial Aid
- Financial Aid & The Fee Payment Deadline
- Grad Students
- Información en Español
- Future Students
- Current Students
- For Parents
- Types of Aid
- Study Abroad
- Financial Literacy
- Financial Aid How To's
- Constitution Day
- Paying tuition and fees
- Student Consumer Information
- Campus Resources
- Contact Us
AB 540 Program
Assembly Bill 540 (AB 540) permits exemption from paying non-resident tuition fees for certain eligible California high school graduates.
To qualify for in-state tuition fees under AB 540 you must meet the eligibility requirements for this program. Applicants must submit an AB 540 Affidavit (California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request form) to the Office of Admission. AB 540 does not grant residency status; rather, it exempts/waives you from paying non-resident tuition fees. You will continue to be classified as a non-resident.
For information about how and when to submit the AB 540 affidavit, contact the Office of Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or, if you or your family have taken steps to obtain or legalize your status (e.g. permanent resident, asylum, family unity program, etc.), you may also apply for in-state tuition fees under California Community College Title 5, Chapter 2 “Residency Regulations and Requirements for Undocumented Aliens” 2.22. Through this process you would then be eligible for state aid, provided you meet any additional requirements set forth by those programs (for example, Low income.)
AB 540 Eligibility Requirements
The following are required for AB 540 eligibility:
- You must have attended a California high school for 3 or more years
- You must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent of a high school diploma
- You must have registered or currently be enrolled at an accredited institution of higher education in California
- You must have filed or will file an affidavit as required by individual institutions, stating that you will apply for legal residency as soon as possible
- You may not be a non-immigrant holding a valid lettered non-immigrant visa
Financial Aid and Scholarships
The California Dream Act of 2011 allows students who meet AB540 criteria to apply for and receive certain state and institutional financial assistance programs.