Residency determination qualifies students for resident, non-resident/ international, or Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) fees. Fees are based on the state of your permanent residency or the residency of your parents if you are a minor.


Requirements for Residency

To be considered a California resident, an adult applicant must have established and maintained permanent residence in California for at least one year prior to the residency determination date. Complete details can be found in the University Catalog, which is the final authority on matters of residence.


Residency Determination Dates

  • Fall Semester: September 20
  • Spring Semester: January 25

Residency determination for minor applicants (under age 18) is based on the residency status of their parents. Proof of residence requires evidence of the following conditions:

  1. physical presence in California at least one year before the residence determination date
  2. intent to remain in California indefinitely.

A student who fails to submit adequate information to establish eligibility for resident classification will be classified as a nonresident, and asked to complete and submit the Residence Questionnaire.

Additional information can be found at the Office of Admissions website.

For questions or more information, please contact


Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Residency Requirements

Through its membership in WUE, Cal State East Bay permits undergraduate students in 14 western states to enroll at a reduced fee level during their bachelor's degree program. WUE tuition fees are 150% of the regular resident state university fees.

Residents from the following states may qualify for WUE fees:
Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming.

To qualify for WUE fees, admitted undergraduate students with legal residency in a state participating in WUE must submit a WUE Participation Agreement Form. For full details see the WUE Program

If you have questions please contact the Office of Admissions at (510) 885-2784 or e-mail