Frequently Asked Questions

When your (and your parents) completed the FAFSA, and Expected Family Contribution (EFC) was calculated for you. You were also assigned a Budget or Educational Cost, which is based on your at home, on-campus, or off-campus residency. Your need was determined by subtracting your EFC from your Budget as shown by the equation below. We also used your EFC to determine your eligibility for certain grants.

Cost of Attendance – Expected Family Contribution = Financial Need

Our Federal and State financial aid programs use this information to assist in forecasting a family’s ability to assist with college. Providing information on the FAFSA does not mean your parents are obligated to assist with college costs.

Your dependency status is determined by the Department of Education. If you are deemed a dependent student, we cannot change that. However, if you are in a situation where you cannot or should not be associated with your parents, please contact the Financial Aid Office. 

If you are unable to obtain your parents’ information, or if you believe you qualify for a dependency override, contact the Financial Aid Office.

While full time enrollment requires 12 units (8 units for Graduate Students), the number of units you must maintain is determined by the type of aid you receive. Please refer to the unit requirements in the following aid category descriptions:

For an Undergraduate or Credential Classification: Full time is 12 or more units, three quarter time is 9 to 11 units, half time is 6 to 8 units, and less than half time is fewer than 6 units.

For a Masters Classification: Full time is 8 graduate level units, three quarter time is 6 graduate level units, half time is 4 graduate level units, and less than half time is fewer than 4 graduate units.


Most awards are based on full-time enrollment. If you drop classes during the Add/Drop period, the Office of Financial Aid may adjust some of your financial aid to the appropriate enrollment level. You may be required to repay the difference between the fulltime aid amount and the adjusted amount. If you must fully withdraw from a term, the financial aid office is required to recalculate your financial aid eligibility. You may be required to repay a portion or all of your aid.

We will measure your academic progress at the end of each semester. Financial aid recipients are expected to complete a minimum of 67% of all attempted units with a GPA of 2.0 (Cumulative and second year. This is 3.0 for Graduate students). You will receive the full Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy by e-mail. Be sure to speak with a financial aid counselor if you are concerned about loss of your aid eligibility.

If your aid is insufficient to pay your University charges, you are responsible for paying your balance. If you owe a balance from a prior term, you may be denied access to future registration.