- Financial Aid
- Financial Aid & The Fee Payment Deadline
- Grad Students
- Información en Español
- Future Students
- Current Students
- For Parents
- Types of Aid
- Financial Aid Appeal
- Study Abroad
- Financial Literacy
- Financial Aid How To's
- Constitution Day
- Paying tuition and fees
- Student Consumer Information
- Campus Resources
- Contact Us
- 2023 Student Fund Reporting Form
Federal Work Study
Federal Work Study (FWS) is a form of financial aid largely provided by federal funding. A student must apply for financial aid each year to become eligible for the award, or to keep working in their current Work Study job. Eligible FWS students earn money by working a limited number of hours per week at a pre-approved FWS site location. Employment may be found on or off campus with employers that have arranged in advance to offer FWS positions to CSUEB students. Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 units or more) and actively attending in said classes to retain eligibility for their FWS job.
To obtain a Federal Work Study Job, Follow These Steps:
- File your FAFSA to determine your eligibility to get an FWS award.
- CHECK your Financial Aid award online (MyCSUEB) to see if you have FWS funds (not all students are eligible).
- Print a copy of your Financial Aid Award that includes your FWS offer to provide to your hiring managers
- Look for an open position either through Handshake or by reaching out to departments and inquiring about jobs that are looking to hire students with Federal Work Study funds
- Once you secure a position, you or your hiring manager must notify the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships via email at email@example.com.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress and at least half-time enrollment (6 units for undergraduate or 4 units for graduate level).
How Do I Find a Work Study Job?
- Search and apply for FWS positions online at Handshake student portal on AACE's homepage.
Interested in tutoring grade school children to read? Tutors are always in high demand. Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
from your Horizon email and provide your netID (to identify yourself) and your subject title should be: "FWS Tutor Job Interested." The experience and personal fulfillment are invaluable!
Step 3: How Do I Get Paid?
All students are required to check-in with CSUEB's Payroll Office located on the 2nd floor of the Students Services Administration building.
Bring with you your:
- State issued ID and your social security card, OR
- Original US Passport, or original US Birth Certificate or original Permanent Residency Card
Please consider setting up Direct Deposit with Payroll - not required but encouraged to avoid delays with your monthly payments.
Submitting work hours online:
- On-campus positions: To submit your hours daily online, read and follow the business process guide for instructions for all on-campus positions.
- Off-campus positions (community service-based jobs): Students working off-campus are required to submit hours both online and a physical timesheet (signed by you and your supervisor). Download the Community Service time sheet.
Note: Late timecards or hours reported late will be paid in following pay cycle.
Avoiding Financial Aid Pitfalls
This section addresses changes to your Financial Aid award (including FWS funds) and how to avoid needing to pay back money.
Every student has a budget uniquely to them:
- Student living off-campus
- Student living on-campus
- Student living with parents
Your total aid may not exceed your budget. If you accept outside sources of aid (e.g. scholarships, grants, and/or Parent PLUS loan), this may reduce your FWS eligibility.
|$5,472||Cal Grant (CG) B|
|$1,656||Cal Grant B Access|
|$2,400||Federal Work Study (FWS)|
|$23,000 TOTAL AID|
If Johnny were to receive an outside scholarship of $1,000, his Federal Work Study would be reduced to $1,400. Johnny would be required by law to repay the $1,000 back to the university in order for his outside scholarship to be accommodated. His other option is to request to reduce his loans early in the year (i.e. fall or winter) to avoid having to repay any funds.
|$5,472||Cal Grant (CG) A|
|$2,400||Federal Work Study (FWS)|
|$15,000 TOTAL AID|
Jenny wants to increase her Federal Work Study (FWS) funds because she wants to work as much as possible. If Jenny emailed (from her Horizon account and provided her netID) to decline her undisbursed loans - she may increase her FWS funds equal to the undisbursed loan amount, or less.
Requirements for Securing and Maintaining an FWS Job
- Must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), to understand the requirements, please read the SAP policy.
- Must maintain half-time enrollment status (6 units or more) while employed in FWS program.
- Filed the current FAFSA to determine if you have any “need” (according to the Department of Education's definition of “need”).