The passage of California Dream Acts — AB 130 and AB 131 — extend eligibility for certain types of institutional and state aid to undocumented students. In order to be eligible, students must also qualify for benefits under another California law AB540 which exempts students from paying non-resident supplemental tuition.

The California Dream Act Application (CADAA) will be available starting October 1 of each year. Students are encouraged to submit their CADAA on or before the May 2, deadline. To apply visit dream.csac.ca.gov

The information provided on your CADAA is used to calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The EFC is used by Cal State East Bay and the California Student Aid Commission to determine your eligibility for financial aid. You can apply for financial aid before you know if you are admitted or taxes have been completed–so don't wait, apply as soon as possible. The important things to remember are:

  • Apply early! Applications become available early October for the upcoming academic year
  • Submit your application by May 2 for priority consideration
  • Include the CSUEB School Code: 001138
  • Keep copies of your tax returns and other documents in case they are needed
  • Reapply every year!

On October 12, 2001, Governor Gray Davis signed into law Assembly Bill 540 (Stats. 2001, ch. 814) adding a new section, 68130.5, to the California Education Code. Section 68130.5 created a new exemption from the payment of non-resident tuition for certain non-resident students who have attended high school in California and received a high school diploma or its equivalent. AB 2000 expanded the scope of AB 540 in 2014. 

  • AB 540 Guidelines & 68130.5 Requirements for Eligibility
  • A student may qualify for exemption from nonresident tuition…either by high school attendance in California for three or more years
  • or by either elementary or secondary school attendance
  • or both in California for a total of 3 or more years and
  • attainment of credits earned in California from a California high school equivalent to 3 or more years of full-time high school coursework and a total of three or more years of attendance in California elementary schools, California secondary schools, or a combination of these schools.”
  • Must register or is currently enrolled at an accredited institution of public higher education in California;
  • Must file or will file an affidavit as required by individual institutions, stating that the filer will apply for legal residency as soon as possible;
  • Must not hold a valid non-immigrant visa (F, J, H, L, A, E, etc.)

Q: I have a SSN through DACA, do I put it on my CA Dream Act Application or should I just list all zeroes?

A: If you have an SSN enter it here.  If you do not have an SSN, but have an ITIN, enter that number.  If you have both numbers, enter your SSN. If you have neither number, leave this question blank.

Q: My parents have an ITIN, do they put that on the CA Dream Act Application? I can fill out the FAFSA, but my parents have an ITIN, do I put it on the FAFSA or just all zeroes?

A: For Dream Applicants, if your parent has both a SSN and an ITIN, have them enter their SSN.  If your parent doesn’t have a SSN or ITIN, enter 000000000. If you are filing the FAFSA, you will enter all zeros. 

Q: Where do I find the Statewide Student Identification Number (SSID)? Do I need it?

A: You will have the 10 digit SSID only if you attended a California public high school. Otherwise leave this question blank. You can find your SSID on your high school transcripts or you can call your high school.

Q: One of my parents was deported, and the other is still here. Do I still include the deported parent’s information on the CA Dream Act Application? 

A: Yes, you will include the information for both of your parents. 

Q: I (or my parents) have a cash job (work under the table). Do I still need to report that income on the FAFSA/ CA Dream Act Application? 

A: Yes, you will report this information under Question 88/89 of your FAFSA/ CA Dream Act Application where it asks you to report your parent’s wages, salaries, tips, ect.

Q: My parents worked outside of the country, will I still need to report their income on the CA Dream Act Application? What happens if I get selected for verification?

A: Income earned in a foreign country is treated the same as income earned in the U.S. Convert all figures to U.S. dollars, using the exchange rate in effect on the day you complete the CA Dream Act Application. You can find information on current exchange rates at www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h10/current.Include the value of any taxes paid to the foreign government in the “U.S. income tax paid” line item. 

Q: My parents lived outside the country, and I live with my aunt. Is she my legal guardian? Does that make me independent? 

A: A foster parent, legal guardian, or a grandparent or other relative is not treated as a parent for purposes of filing the CA Dream Act Application unless that person has legally adopted the applicant. An adoptive parent is treated in the same manner as a biological parent on the CA Dream Act Application. This does not make you an independent student.  

Q: I have DACA, does that make me an eligible non-citizen?

A: Deferred action does not provide an individual with lawful status (i.e. U.S. Resident, Eligible Non-citizen). However, recipients of deferred action may obtain work authorization.

Q: Do I have to report all the scholarships and grants I received on the financial aid application? Where do I report that?

A: You only have to report your scholarships and grants received on your application if you filed taxes and reported these to the IRS in your adjusted gross income. If you did, you will report this information on Question 44(d) of your the CA Dream Act Application. 

Q: Are work study earnings taxable? Do I need to report them on the financial aid application?

A: Work-study earnings must be reported as taxed income on Question 44(c) of your FAFSA/ CA Dream Act Application.

Q: Do I have to report my current balance of cash, savings and checking accounts? It changes every day.

A: You report the amount in your savings/checking accounts as of the day you filed your CA Dream Act Application.

Q: Do I need to submit a GPA verification form if I got a Cal Grant last year? 

A: No, you don’t. For students who received Cal Grant last year, we will submit GPA verifications electronically on their behalf. 

Q: I am a CSUEB student who did not get a Cal Grant last year, but I think I might be eligible this year, do I submit a form? 

A: Please contact our office to determine if you need to submit a form.

Q: I attended high school (or another college) last year and did not get a Cal Grant last year but I think I might be eligible this year, do I submit a form?

A: If you attended high school, you may be eligible and can apply for the Cal Grant High School Entitlement Award. If you are transferring from a community college to a 4-Year University, you may be eligible for and can also apply for the Cal Grant Transfer Entitlement Award.

Cal State East Bay has many more resources available for our Dreamers!  To learn more, visit: http://www.csueastbay.edu/undocumented/