FAQ - Registration & Other Topics

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

This FAQ is intended to help students in the Department of Public Health – answers to these questions are relevant only to courses in the Department of Public Health and may not be applicable to other Cal State East Bay departments.

Useful Resources:



Important Dates


Issues with enrolling or registering for a class

Your specific registration time and date, or 'enrollment appointment' will be on MyCSUEB. Log in and select the "Manage Classes" tile and then select "Enrollment Appointments".


You will be able to view the schedule of classes for the upcoming semester approximately two weeks before registration begins. You can find related important registration dates here.
Students may register for a combined maximum of 18 units of classes plus waiting list during their assigned enrollment period for a regular semester (the limit is 13 units for Summer Session, and 4 units for Winter Intersession). After the initial enrollment period, “Graduating Students” will be permitted to enroll and waitlist up to a maximum of 22 units for a regular semester. “Graduating Students” are defined as undergraduate students who have completed 90 units and have filed for graduation by the priority deadline, by the time enrollment appointments have been assigned.

The Department of Public Health does not use permission numbers. If there are no holds on your account preventing registration, you meet the pre-req requirements, and there is space in the class, you will be automatically added. 

If you want to add the class after the “Add/Drop Period without Instructor/Department Permission” (the first week of the semester) you should contact the instructor during the “Add Period with Instructor/Department Permission” to have you added to the class.

If you are on the waitlist, you will be automatically added when and IF there is space available in the class as long as you have no time conflicts or holds. Instructors do not know when you will be added and can not increase course caps. You should not be contacting the instructor before the semester begins to ask if there will be space available. 

If you are on the waitlist and interested in enrolling in the class you can contact the instructor in the first week of class, but remember you can only be added through the waitlist and the instructor can not add you outside of the “Add Period with Instructor/Department Permission” which is usually the 2nd week of the semester.

In the case of PH 315 and PH 400 - the lecture and lab classes are sometimes linked together. For example, if you register for the lecture PH 400-01, you will need to register for a lab/activity section that corresponds to that lecture, usually indicated by the number of the lecture, in this example -01. So if you register for PH 400-01 (Lecture) you must register for a lab/activity section such as PH 400-1A, PH 400-1B, etc., and not PH 400-2A, PH 400-2B, etc., which would be linked to the lecture PH 400-02.

It sometimes happens that the system will allow you to register for a mis-matched lecture and activity section, but you will be stuck on the waitlist until you choose a lecture and lab/activity section that link together.

You will need to check MyCSUEB to determine what kind of HOLD is on your account. Department of Public Health faculty and staff can not remove a HOLD so it is important to check on MyCSUEB. Holds may be placed on your student account for a variety of reasons: Failure to pay debts owed to the University, such as an application fee; Proof of Immunization; Final Transcripts; and others. Please be sure to contact the relevant University department to remedy any holds in a timely manner to permit you to register for classes.

(Similarly - I am taking XXX course over the summer/winter and it is a prerequisite for a course I want to register for in the following semester (fall/spring) – how can I register?)

Contact the College of Science Student Service Center (SSC) - cscistudentcenter@csueastbay.edu - who will verify the articulation or verify that you are enrolled in a prerequisite class. Once they have this verification, they will put in a request for manual enrollment for the course that requires the prerequisite.
If you are a Health Sciences (no concentration) student who started in Fall 2022 or later you need to meet with your faculty advisor to develop a course plan. If you do not, you will only be able to register for core courses until a course plan is made.

Course availability; Course Requirements; Deciding what courses to take

You can check your Degree Audit Report (DAR) on MyCSUEB to see what courses you need to complete your major. See the video on the Department of Public Health website to better understand your DAR.
You can check your Degree Audit Report (DAR) on MyCSUEB to see what courses will count as electives to complete your major. You can watch the video linked at the top of this FAQ to better understand your DAR.
The best person to ask is your faculty advisor. Please reach out to them, they all love public health and are excited to talk about all the careers you can have with a public health and health science background! You can check the Department of Public Health website to find out who your faculty advisor is and speak with them.

Similarly: Will more sections of PH XXX open? I am waitlisted.

Courses offered - priority is core and then key electives needed for graduation. The Department of Public Health does its best to offer courses students require to advance in their degree progression through multiple sections and at various times. If there are resources and instructors available then the course will be offered.
In some cases, the Department of Public Health will offer a course, but the specific instructor is not immediately available. Once identified, the instructor’s name will be uploaded into the system. We try to do this as quickly as possible, but there is no specific timeframe as to when this occurs.

The best way to see what current upper-division or overlay courses will be available is to use MyCSUEB to search for classes that are open and available during your registration period that have these attributes. You should also check your DAR to see what you have already completed and what requirements will be completed through other courses in your program.

You can also contact the Academic Advising and Career Education (AACE) to speak with an advisor about GE requirements

You can see a list of ALL courses that meet these requirements, you can view them in the course catalog and descriptions of all GE coursework needed:

GE Area UD-B Courses

GE Area UD-C Courses

GE Area UD-D Courses

Diversity Overlay Courses

Social Justice Overlay Courses

Sustainability Overlay Courses

While we are not able to meet everyone’s specific schedule, we do take into consideration that students work and have family commitments. The Department of Public Health does its best to schedule courses during a variety of days and times.
Each course has defined modalities (formats for teaching, either in-person, hybrid, or online) which can be identified from the course description in the CSUEB Course Catalog. Whether the course will be offered in an officially designated modality is determined by the Department of Public Health which takes into consideration a variety of factors, such as course learning objectives, assessments, instructor availability, student feedback, and other criteria when making these determinations. While we are not able to meet everyone’s specific needs, we do our best to offer a variety of scheduling options for our students.
It is important that you regularly meet with your major advisor and faculty advisor to plan out your schedule and timeline in order to determine which classes you need to take. This sometimes means meeting prerequisite requirements and sequences of courses. If you have immediate concerns, be sure to meet with your faculty advisor.
It is best to check the CSUEB Course Catalog to determine whether a course has a prerequisite or not.
The Department of Public Health has previously offered some classes over the summer semester, but not winter intersession. Determining what classes to offer over the summer depends on instructor availability and it is usually a limited number of electives.

Financial Aid, the Library, Graduation, and Other Questions

There are a number of ways to check if you have required textbooks or other materials for your courses. You can check courses on MyCSUEB; there is a link to the right side ‘View Books’ which links to texts that have been registered for that course. Additionally, the instructor will indicate on their syllabus if there are required textbooks or other materials.

Please contact the financial aid office for any questions about financial aid or scholarships

Telephone: 510-885-2784 or Email:finaid@csueastbay.edu  

Faculty, unfortunately, have little to no knowledge about financial aid, and it is best to ask the experts in the financial aid office to get an official answer.

Please keep up to date with financial aid on your disbursement, holds, or any other matters which may impact your registration and enrollment. The only way to get added back is with documentation from financial aid that identifies an error on their part.
For any questions about your progress toward graduation, course selection, or graduation requirements contact an academic advisor - this can be AACE, College of Science Student Service Center, or your faculty advisor. See the University's webpage on graduation for more information.

If you are registered for a course in the Department of Public Health, faculty who request Slack workspaces will have these workspaces populated before the semester starts and you should automatically be added. Remember that you may need to find and access the workspace through the Slack website/desktop application/mobile application - it sometimes does not pop up automatically. 

When classes start, your instructor will confirm if they are using Slack and can add students by email address as well if you added the course late.

When in doubt you can always visit the Slack channel #help-slack and ask for assistance. Also, if you are new to slack, check out the Department of Public Health’s intro guide to slack.