Academic Probation and Disqualification

Academic Probation

According to Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations, you must achieve at least a 2.00 grade point average (GPA) in all university work, all work at Cal State East Bay, and all work in your major to receive a baccalaureate degree. Academic probation warns you that your academic performance is below the state minimum required for graduation, and that you must improve your GPA before a degree can be granted.

There are various services to assist you in improving your academic standing. If you are an EXCEL or Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) student, you must contact your counselor. All other undergraduate students should contact the Academic Advising and Career Education office at 510-885-3621 and make an appointment to meet with an academic advisor.

When both your cumulative higher education GPA and your Cal State East Bay GPA reach 2.00, you are removed from academic probation.

Administrative Academic Probation

As authorized by Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations, you may be placed on administrative academic probation for:

  • withdrawal or administrative disenrollment from all or a substantial portion of a program of studies in two successive terms or in any three terms. (Note: A student whose withdrawal is directly associated with a chronic or recurring medical condition or its treatment is not subject to administrative academic probation for such withdrawal);
  • repeated failure to progress toward the stated degree objective or other program objective, including that resulting from the assignment of 15 units of "NC," when such failure appears to be due to circumstances within your control;
  • failure to comply, after due notice, with an academic requirement or regulation, as defined by campus policy, which is routine for all students or a defined group of students, such as failure to complete the writing skills test, failure to complete a required practicum, failure to comply with professional standards appropriate to the field of study, or failure to complete a specified number of units as a condition for receiving student financial aid or making satisfactory progress in the academic program;
  • earning only grades of "F," "NC," and/or "WU" for two consecutive semesters or any three semesters.

Academic Disqualification

As authorized by Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations, undergraduate students on academic probation are subject to academic disqualification when:

  • as a freshman (fewer than 30 semester units of college work completed), the Fall or Spring term grade point average is below 1.50;
  • as a sophomore, junior, or senior, the Fall or Spring semester term GPA is below 2.0.

The disqualified status is shown on the student’s transcript.

Administrative Academic Disqualification

As authorized by Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations, if you have been placed on administrative academic probation, you may be disqualified from further attendance if:

  • the conditions for removal of administrative academic probation are not met within the period specified;
  • you become subject to academic probation while on administrative academic probation;
  • you become subject to administrative academic probation for the same or similar reason for which you have been placed on administrative academic probation previously, although not currently in such status.

If you are not on probation, you may be subject to administrative academic disqualification if:

  • at the end of any term, you have a cumulative grade point average below 1.0;
  • your cumulative grade point average is so low that in view of your overall educational record, it seems unlikely that the deficiency will be removed within a reasonable period.

How can I be readmitted after Academic Disqualification?

To be readmitted/reinstated following Academic Disqualification, you must have earned good grades at another accredited institution, or through Open University, have improved your CSUEB and Cumulative GPA to 2.00 or better, and have completed any required remediation. Typically, you will not be considered for readmission for one year, certainly not for at least a semester. If you are not admitted within two semesters, you must reapply for admission.

The Admissions Review Committee will decide on petitions for reinstatement, on a case-by-case basis, if you do not meet the above-mentioned criteria but feel you have compelling and/or extenuating circumstances which prevent you from achieving the reinstatement requirements. The committee may reinstate you on probation if, in their judgment, you are likely to remove any grade point average deficiencies within the subsequent two terms.

If you are readmitted/reinstated, you must maintain a minimum term GPA of 2.5.

If you are academically disqualified a second time, you will not be readmitted/reinstated a second time.

For more details and the Petition for Reinstatement form, visit the Reinstatement and Readmission web site.

There are two types of probation and disqualification: (1) academic, and (2) administrative. If you are an "Unclassified Post-Baccalaureate" student, not in a master's degree or credential program, all of the following policies apply except that your minimum GPA requirement is 2.50 instead of 3.00.

Academic Probation

You must maintain a 3.00 GPA in your degree coursework to remain in good standing. If your GPA falls below 3.00, you will be placed on Academic Probation. Should this happen, you must consult with your graduate advisor prior to registering for the next semester. You are also encouraged to take advantage of various university services (such as advising and tutoring) designed to assist you.

Academic Disqualification

You may be academically disqualified by the Associate Vice President of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies if during any semester while on probation you do not achieve the minimum 3.0 GPA in all courses applicable to your degree. You may also be disqualified if, at any time, you do not meet the academic criteria of your department. In addition, an appropriate campus administrator may disqualify a student who at any time during enrollment has demonstrated behavior so contrary to the standards of the profession for which the student is preparing as to render him/her unfit for the profession. In such cases, disqualification will occur immediately upon notice to the student.

Administrative Academic Probation

You may be placed on Administrative Probation if you:

  • withdraw from all courses for two consecutive semesters or any three semesters;
  • do not progress towards your degree while enrolled (such as earning a number of "NC" grades);
  • do not comply with appropriate academic requirements (such as taking the Writing Skills Test); or
  • earn only "IC," "F," "WU," and/or "NC" grades for two consecutive, or any three semesters.

Administrative Academic Disqualification

You will be administratively disqualified if you:

  • do not meet the conditions for removal of your Administrative Probation;
  • are placed on Administrative Probation twice for the same reason;
  • are placed on Academic Probation while on Administrative Probation.

If you are disqualified, either academically or administratively, you may apply for reinstatement to your graduate program by completing a "Petition for Graduate Reinstatement." Your petition must be approved by your Graduate Coordinator or the department chair. Reinstatement will be approved only if you are able to provide compelling evidence of your ability to complete your degree. Then it will be forwarded for consideration to the Associate Vice President of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies who has final authority to approve reinstatement. If you are disqualified a second time, reinstatement will normally not be considered.

Declassification from a Degree Program

You may be declassified (dropped) from a graduate degree or credential program for a range of reasons, including, but not restricted to, unprofessional conduct; behavioral issues that interfere with the learning of others; failure to make progress toward the degree or program as set forth by the University and program policies; failure to meet grade requirements to maintain good standing in the program and/or University; and/or the department/program faculty determine that the student is incapable of completing degree requirements at the level expected of a graduate student in the discipline even if the GPA is above a 3.0.

The declassification request must be initiated by the major department with support from the department/program chair and college dean or designee. Requests are submitted to the Office of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies for final action and official notification to the student and the Registrar's Office. The Office of Academic Programs and Graduate Studies will also determine if the student should also be academically or administratively disqualified from the University. If the student is not disqualified from the University and wishes to continue in the University, a declassified student must formally apply to another graduate program or apply as a second baccalaureate student. (Second baccalaureate status is closed for budget reasons until further notice.) Such students will not be permitted to enroll through regular University or Open University in any undergraduate or graduate courses in the program or degree from which they were declassified. Unless declassification was related to conduct issues that interfere with campus interactions, declassified students are eligible to apply to a new program and be accepted as a student by the department/program. The student must be accepted to a new program no later than three semesters after being declassified; otherwise, the student must reapply to the University.