Dental Plans

General Information

Currently, the CSU offers two dental plans for benefit eligible employees. Both plans are currently employer-paid.

Employees of the State of California and contracting public agencies whose appointment is at least six months and one day (tenure) and at least half-time (time base) may sign up for the CalPERS Health Benefit Program. In addition, lecturers with a time base of .40 or greater who are appointed for an academic year or two quarter appointment are eligible. 
Please download the Lecturer Benefit Eligibility Criteria for additional information.

Who’s Eligible?

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried, natural, stepchildren, or adopted children under the age of 26
  • Domestic partners (contact Human Resources for more information)
  • Economically dependent children

New employees have 60 days from the date of hire to enroll. If you do not enroll within the 60-day period or wish to change dental plans, you may do so during the annual open enrollment period.

If the enrollment form is submitted prior to the 5th of the month and within the 60-day limit, coverage will become effective the first of the following month. You are not considered enrolled until it is reflected on your paycheck stub.   If you are currently enrolled and are required to make a change to your enrollment, contact Human Resources for information on qualifying events.

If you do not enroll by the 60th calendar day of eligibility or you wish to change dental plans, you may do so during the annual open enrollment period.

If you become ineligible because of a change in employee status or timebase, or your dependent (s) becomes ineligible, coverage may be continued under the provisions of COBRA.  Please contact  Human Resources for completion of documents and details.

If you go on a leave of absence without pay or are otherwise in an approved non-pay status, you may elect to pay the full premium for your coverage.  Please contact  Human Resources for details.

Dental Plans

Delta Dental (PPO)

Delta Dental plan is a group dental plan that allows you to choose any dentist. The benefits described in the Summary Brochure are guaranteed only when you go to a Delta member dentist.

Your collective bargaining unit determines your level of dental coverage as follows:

  • Delta Dental Basic - Evidence of Coverage Units 8,  E99 (except Teaching Associates) and Annuitants
  • Delta Enhanced Level I - Evidence of Coverage Teaching Associates
  • Delta Enhanced Level II - Evidence of Coverage Units 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, Executives, MPP, Confidentials, and FERP annuitants.

Identification cards are not issued.  Provider lists can be obtained by visiting Delta Dental. Most Delta Dental providers will bill the plan directly for services.  If your provider does not bill directly and a claim form is needed, please call Delta Dental at (888) 335-8227 or log on to their website and download the claim form.

Delta Care USA (HMO)

Delta Care USA is a prepaid plan.  Many of the services are covered at no cost to the employee while some services require a co-payment.
Your collective bargaining unit determines your level of dental coverage as follows:

When enrolling in Delta Care USA you must choose a provider from their list.   You can view the Directory of Dentists at Delta Care.   Similar to a HMO, you will receive a membership card and evidence of coverage that describes the covered benefits.  The membership card will have the telephone number and address of your dentist.   If you wish to change your dentist,  you can do so by contacting Delta Care USA at (800) 422-4234.

A Benefits Worksheet can be downloaded from the following web link: HR Forms. If you have questions about completing the worksheet or wish to obtain additional information, contact Human Resources at 510-885-7503.