- F-1 Students
- New Students
- F-1 Status, Visa and Travel
- Maintaining Status
- Social Security Number
- Employment Options
- On-Campus Employment
- Employment & Volunteering
- CPT (Curricular Practical Training)
- Pre-Completion OPT
- Post Completion OPT Workshops
- Optional Practical Training
- OPT Reporting Requirements (12 Months)
- 24 Month OPT STEM Extension
- OPT STEM Reporting (24 months)
- Changing Employers During OPT STEM
- Forms and Handouts
- Express Shipping Options
- Links and Resources
- J-1 Students and Scholars
- International Student Life
- Video Gallery
- CIE staff
Health Insurance Information
California State University East Bay (CSUEB) requires that F-1 & J-1 visa students purchase and maintain adequate health insurance coverage during their period of enrollment at Cal State East Bay.
CSUEB provides a preferred health insurance vendor and does not accept alternative insurance health plans.
Spring 2023 International Student Health Insurance Waiver
California State University East Bay (CSUEB) requires that F-1 & J-1 visa students purchase and maintain adequate health insurance coverage during their period of enrollment in the California State University System.
However, the CSU Chancellor’s office released the following exception during the pandemic:
EO 1082 requires the campus to confirm that international students are insured. For international students who are enrolled online during the COVID 19 pandemic and are verifiably out of the country, this provision may be waived. Campuses should make sure that they and their students are in compliance with any visa regulations, and be prepared to confirm insurance when the student returns to the US.
If you will reside in the U.S. and plan to take classes for Spring 2023:
If you have departed the U.S. and plan to pursue online classes in your home country for the Spring 2023 semester:
Request a health insurance waiver by completing one of the following waiver forms:
If you would like to request a refund for health insurance:
Complete the appropriate waiver form above and email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for assistance in requesting for refund from the insurance company.
For questions please email email@example.com
Spring 2023 Semester:
How to purchase Health Insurance to Clear Insurance Holds for Spring 2023 Semester:
The health insurance carrier will be Cigna. Refer to Relation Insurance website for coverage details www.4studenthealth.com/csueb
Option 1: CSUEB Sponsored Health Insurance
To purchase insurance:
- Go to: Student Health CSUEB
- Select the 2022-2023 plan year to purchase for Spring 2023, scroll down and click enroll
- On the enrollment page, select the Spring 2023 and click continue to choose your coverage
- After your purchase, CSUEB Health Insurance will be notified of your enrollment.
- CSUEB system will clear your hold within 48 hours automatically.
Option 2: Employer-Sponsored Insurance
If you are receiving health insurance coverage through an employer-sponsored plan (i.e. US policy through an employer or your spouse/parent's employer sponsored insurance), provide documentation of your current insurance policy to be vetted for approval. Note: You may need to purchase the Relation Insurance Medical Evacuation & Repatriation plan at www.4studenthealth.com/csueb-repat
- E-mail employer-sponsored health insurance documentation and confirmation letter of the Relation Insurance Medical Evacuation & Repatriation plan to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the following information
- Your full name, NETID and Date of Birth
- Copy of both sides of your health insurance ID card
- Your full insurance policy
- Employer health insurance enrollment confirmation email
- Proof of your relationship to the primary health insurance holder if you are not the primary.
- The review process may take up to 3-5 business days.
Option 3: Government-Sponsored Scholarship
- E-mail proof of your government-sponsored scholarship that includes reference to your health insurance to email@example.com. Include your full name and NetID in your email.
- The review process may take 3-5 days.
Optional Practical Training (OPT) for F-1 and Academic Training for J-1You are still eligible to purchase the insurance coverage while on OPT. You must select the OPT option via www.4studenthealth.com/csueb
Coverage Dates for each semester
Insurance holds are permanent on your student record. Your holds will automatically be moved to a future term based on the expiration date of the insurance plan you purchased. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
**Please note: You will always have a hold for international student health insurance. The hold will be moved to a future term based on your health insurance coverage dates. Please be sure to click on "details" to see which specific semester your hold is preventing you from enrolling for.
Submit refund requests to email@example.com.
Include your name, NetID and reason for your refund request.
In addition, refunds are only provided to students, who have withdrawn from CSUEB and did not use the health insurance plan during the period of enrollment. Students may not attend classes during the semester then request a refund for the remaining months
F-2 dependents are strongly encouraged to purchase health insurance for their time in the USA. F-2 dependents can follow the procedures to above to purchase- make sure to indicate your visa type as "F-2"