- F-1 Students
- New Students
- F-1 Status, Visa and Travel
- Maintaining Status
- Social Security Number
- Employment Options
- On-Campus Employment
- Employment & Volunteering
- CPT (Curricular Practical Training)
- Post Completion OPT Workshops
- Optional Practical Training
- OPT Reporting Requirements (12 Months)
- 24 Month OPT STEM Extension
- OPT STEM Reporting (24 months)
- Changing Employers During OPT STEM
- Forms and Handouts
- Express Shipping Options
- Links and Resources
- J-1 Students and Scholars
- International Student Life
- Video Gallery
- CIE staff
Health Insurance Information
Please click on the image below for information from Anthem Blue Cross regarding your insurance and COVID-19
California State University East Bay (CSUEB) requires that F-1 & J-1 visa students purchase and maintain adequate health insurance coverage during their period of enrollment at Cal State East Bay.
CSUEB provides a preferred health insurance vendor and does not accept alternative insurance health plans.
Spring 2022 International Student Health Insurance Waiver
California State University East Bay (CSUEB) requires that F-1 & J-1 visa students purchase and maintain adequate health insurance coverage during their period of enrollment in the California State University System.
However, the CSU Chancellor’s office released the following exception during the pandemic:
EO 1082 requires the campus to confirm that international students are insured. For international students who are enrolled online during the COVID 19 pandemic and are verifiably out of the country, this provision may be waived. Campuses should make sure that they and their students are in compliance with any visa regulations, and be prepared to confirm insurance when the student returns to the US.
If you will reside in the U.S. and plan to take classes for Spring 2022:
If you have departed the U.S. and plan to pursue online classes while in your home country for the Spring 2022 semester:
Request a health insurance waiver by completing one of the following waiver forms:
If you would like to request a refund for health insurance:
Complete the appropriate waiver form above and email email@example.com to ask for assistance in requesting for refund from the insurance company.
For questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Spring 2022 Semester:
How to purchase Health Insurance to Clear Insurance Holds for Spring 2022 Semester:The health insurance carrier will be Anthem Blue Cross. Refer to Relation Insurance website for coverage details www.4studenthealth.com/csueb
Option 1: CSUEB Sponsored Health Insurance
To purchase insurance:
- Go to: Student Health CSUEB
- Select the 2021-2022 plan year to purchase for Spring 2022, scroll down and click enroll
- On the enrollment page, select the Spring 2022 and click continue to choose your coverage
- After your purchase, CSUEB Health Insurance will be notified of your enrollment.
- CSUEB system will clear your hold within 48 hours automatically.
Option 2: Employer-Sponsored InsuranceIf you are receiving health insurance coverage through an employer-sponsored plan (i.e. US policy through an employer or a family member’s employment), provide documentation of your current insurance policy to be vetted for approval. Note: You may need to purchase the Relation Insurance Medical Evacuation & Repatriation plan at www.4studenthealth.com/csueb-repat
- E-mail employer-sponsored health insurance documentation and confirmation letter of the Relation Insurance Medical Evacuation & Repatriation plan to email@example.com. Include the following information
- Your full name, NETID and Date of Birth
- Copy of both sides of your health insurance ID card
- You full insurance policy
- Employer health insurance enrollment confirmation email
- Proof of your relationship to the primary health insurance holder if you are not the primary.
- The review process may take up to 3-5 business days.
Option 3: Government-Sponsored Scholarship
- E-mail proof of your government-sponsored scholarship that includes reference to your health insurance to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your full name and NetID in your email.
- The review process may take 3-5 days.
Optional Practical Training (OPT) for F-1 and Academic Training for J-1You are still eligible for the insurance coverage offered through your school, but you must contact Relation at (800) 537-1777 to obtain an enrollment form. In addition, students who are on Optional Practical Training or Academic Training must provide a Verification of Practical Training Letter to be eligible for this insurance coverage and must purchase OPT coverage within 30 days of the expiration date of their prior coverage.
Coverage Dates for each semester
Insurance holds are permanent on your student record. Your holds will automatically be moved to a future term based on the expiration date of the insurance plan you purchased. Email email@example.com if you have any questions.
|Annual Plan for 2021-2022||06/01/2021||05/31/2022|
**Please note: You will always have a hold for international student health insurance. The hold will be moved to a future term based on your health insurance coverage dates. Please be sure to click on "details" to see which specific semester your hold is preventing you from enrolling for.
How to obtain your Health Insurance Card?
Download the Sydney Health app using your phone. The app on your mobile device gives you instant access to your benefits, ID card, and much more. You may also access your ID card and benefits on the . Register your account using your netid.
Submit refund requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include your name, NetID and reason for your refund request.