General FAQs

The Student Health and Counseling Services is located on between KPE and the Library on the Hayward campus.
• Health Education
• Hearing & Vision Screening
• Immunizations
• Laboratory
• Massage Therapy
• Orthopedics
• Personal Counseling
• Pharmacy
• Physical Exams
• Physical Therapy
• Psychiatry
• Radiology
• Reproductive Health Services: Birth Control, HIV Testing, STI Testing & Treatment
Current regularly enrolled students are eligible to use SHCS and their services. Students enrolled in Extended Education or Open University may use SHCS for a fee.
Students paying the Student Health Fee, included in the University Registration Fee, receive basic health services at no additional cost. Some services such as lab tests, x-rays, and pharmacy are available for a nominal fee. Please inquire.
To make appointments you can call 510-885-3735, you can come into the Health Center, or you can go onto MyPioneerHealth and make the appointment online.
SHCS is provides quality health care by board certified, licensed, and credentialed health care providers and counselors to our currently enrolled CSUEB students.
When completing the Health History form, try to give us the most up to date information as possible.
No, but we are open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:30a-5:00p. Thursday we are open from 10:00a-5:00p.
Beginning in the Fall Quarter, the Student Health and Counseling Center will offer the Flu Vaccine. Please call for the cost and the availability of appointments.
MyPioneerHealth is a convenient way for students to make or cancel appointments online, pre-fill your health forms, and communicate with a doctor.
If you have an appointment with the Massage Clinic, Physical Therapy, Counseling, Orthopedics or Psychiatry, you will be charged a “No Show” fee if you don’t show up to your appointment. Also, if you call to change/cancel your appointment, less than 24 hours prior to your appointment you will be charged a Late Cancel Fee of $25 ($15 for massage).


The massage clinic is located in the Recreation and Wellness Center (RAW).
You can make appointments either by calling the front desk at (510) 885-3735, or come into the Health Center and make the appointment in person.
You will pay for your massage at the Front Desk of the RAW.
They accept Credit Cards and Bay Bucks as forms of payment. Payment can also be made by charging to the student's financial account.
Please call at least 24 hours in advance to cancel your appointment. There is a $15 fee if you don’t cancel your appointment 24 hours prior to your appointment time, or if miss your appointment completely you will be charged $15.
Yes, we have both male and female massage therapists.


No, the SHCS will not call your parents or guardian to inform them of your visits.
You can be seen as long as a Minor Consent form is completed with a signature from a parent or guardian.


No, insurance is not required here at the Student Health and Counseling Center. The cost of the visit is covered by the Student Health Fee.
Health insurance is available through Risk Management Department for international students only and Covered California for US citizen / nationals / lawfully present students. Visit the websites for additional information.


Yes, we have Flu Vaccines. They are usually available during the Fall Quarter; please call and ask for details.
You can Mail, Fax or bring them into the Health Center.
Yes, you would need to call and make an appointment.
• Hepatitis A
• Hepatitis B
• Varicella
• Tetanus
• Tdap
The cost can vary. Please call for pricing.


Students access personal counseling services on our campus for many reasons.  Some of the common reasons students come are relationship issues, depression, anxiety, grief and loss, trauma, self esteem, worry, family issues, and others.  Anything that is impacting your ability to be in a grounded and balanced place is an issue that you can bring to personal counseling.
Our counselors are all professional staff and they are not students.  Our licensed staff includes Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists, Licensed Clinical Social Workers, and Licensed Clinical Psychologists.  We also employ post-master’s registered interns who are gaining hours toward licensure.  Post-master’s interns are supervised by licensed staff.
Counseling is when a student meets with a counselor to talk about personal problems/issues/concerns and together they work on those issues in a variety of ways.  In personal counseling, a counselor often meets one on one with a client but we also provide group counseling and couples counseling.  Also, many people use the terms counseling and therapy/psychotherapy interchangeably.

Psychiatry is meeting with a medical doctor who specializes in treating mental health issues. A psychiatrist usually evaluates a patient for medications which may be helpful.  Although you may discuss some of your personal issues with a psychiatrist, they most often refer you to counseling to talk about and work on personal issues.
Counseling Services provides brief/short term counseling services at our center and our session limit is 10 sessions per academic year.  We help you to actively work on issues or concerns in these sessions and most students find they are able to accomplish what they came to work on.  We do not provide ongoing, long term counseling/psychotherapy.  If you need ongoing counseling we can give you resources in the community. Students are welcome to continue using crisis hours 1:00pm-3:00pm daily.