On-Campus Employment

Who is eligible for on-campus employment?

To be eligible for on-campus employment you must be enrolled in a full course of study, in good academic standing. You are eligible for on-campus work when you arrive as an F-1 student (no sooner than 30 days before your program start date). Students may work "on campus" up to 20 hours per week when school is in session. You may be employed full-time (more than 20 hours a week) during term breaks, provided you are eligible and intend to register for the next semester. Student's holding an F-1 visa are not eligible to work on campus after completing their degree program, this is often referred to as a "bridge" term. 

What counts as on-campus employment?

  • Employment on either Hayward, Oakland, Concord or San Ramon campus (Examples: teaching assistant, student assistant, etc.)
  • Work performed on a CSUEB campus for a commercial firm providing direct services to students (Example: Jamba Juice, Panda Express, Subway, Starbucks, etc.)

If you are not sure whether the employment opportunity would meet the definition of “on-campus” employment, please speak with International Student Advisor first before you start your employment. 

How do I apply?

You must obtain a job offer letter by asking individual departments if they are hiring or applying directly to open positions on Handshake.  Handshake is a job and internship platform for students, accessible via the AACE website or an app (Download Handshake in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store by searching for "Handshake.")  All enrolled Cal State East Bay students have access to Handshake using their NetID and password.

Once you receive a job offer, CIE can issue a Permission to Accept On-Campus Employment Letter. 

If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN), you must apply for an SSN in a timely manner before your employment starts. You will be required to take a letter from our office, your job offer letter, your passport, your I-20, and your I-94. If you are a new student, you must wait at least 10 days after arriving in the United States before applying for an SSN to allow enough time for your arrival information to be updated in all government systems.