- F-1 Students
- New Students
- F-1 Status, Visa and Travel
- Maintaining Status
- Social Security Number
- Employment Options
- On-Campus Employment
- Employment & Volunteering
- CPT (Curricular Practical Training)
- Pre-Completion OPT
- Post Completion OPT Workshops
- Optional Practical Training
- OPT Reporting Requirements (12 Months)
- 24 Month OPT STEM Extension
- OPT STEM Reporting (24 months)
- Changing Employers During OPT STEM
- Forms and Handouts
- Links and Resources
- J-1 Students and Scholars
- International Student Life
- Video Gallery
- CIE staff
Mandatory Immigration Online Check-In
Upon Arrival at Cal State East Bay
All new international students should check-in (online) immediately with the Center for International Education (CIE) upon arrival into the USA
You are considered a "new" student for immigration purposes if you
- Entered the USA in Initial Status
- Transferred to CSUEB from a different school; or
- Recently completed a program or OPT at CSUEB and are starting a new program with us.
Spring 2024 Online Check-In Procedure
For new international students who will be inside the USA for Spring 2024, you must complete the virtual "check in" procedure after your arrival by submitting the following documents to this Google Form. You will need to sign in using your HORIZON email.
- New Student Information Form- this must include a valid USA address and US phone number. Do NOT submit your check in documents until you can fully complete this form.
- Passport- copy of your bio page in your passport
- I-94 (www.cbp.gov/i94)
- I-94 Record page
If you are transferring from another school in the U.S. (from any level - high school, undergraduate, or graduate) as an F-1 student, you must complete the transfer of your SEVIS record to Cal State East Bay within 15 days of the beginning of the semester.
If you have recently arrived from outside the United States, Officials from the Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) created an electronic I-94 for you. You can access your electronic I-94 by visiting i94 Form. We strongly recommend you review and print a copy of your electronic I-94 each time you travel.
Make sure that your electronic I-94 state "F-1" and "D/S" (Duration of Status). Duration of Status means you may stay as long as you follow the rules and maintain F-1 status, even if the F-1 visa in your passport expires while you are in the U.S.
Advisors at the Center for International Education (CIE) provide immigration advising for F-1 students and can meet with you to discuss issues such as Applications for Change of Status to F-1, maintaining valid F-1 status, travel and re-entry to the United States, and employment options as an F-1 student. In addition, the advisors can assist you in understanding and locating campus services available to students at Cal State East Bay.
Advisors are available by appointment. To schedule an appointment, please use The Bay Advisor.