- F-1 Students
- New Students
- F-1 Status, Visa and Travel
- Maintaining Status
- Social Security Number
- Employment Options
- On-Campus Employment
- Employment & Volunteering
- CPT (Curricular Practical Training)
- Pre-Completion OPT
- Post Completion OPT Workshops
- Optional Practical Training
- OPT Reporting Requirements (12 Months)
- 24 Month OPT STEM Extension
- OPT STEM Reporting (24 months)
- Changing Employers During OPT STEM
- Forms and Handouts
- Express Shipping Options
- Links and Resources
- J-1 Students and Scholars
- International Student Life
- Video Gallery
- CIE staff
OPT STEM Reporting
Change of Address Reporting with USCIS
All students are required to report address changes to USCIS by completing Form AR-11 any time they move after graduation, including after USCIS has approved their Form I-765. If you do not have a receipt number or a pending case, you may respond "NO" in order to submit the Form AR-11 for an address change only. USCIS strongly recommends that applicants who have a USCIS online account also update their address in their online account profile.
OPT STEM Validation/Participation Report Requirements (24 months)
Students with an approved 24-month OPT extension must make a validation report to CIE every six months starting from the date the extension begins and ending when employment terminates or at the end of 24 months
What can I update in my SEVP Portal while on OPT STEM?
You have the ability to update your residential address and contact information via the Portal. You are not able to update employment as the I-983 is mandatory. You are responsible for updating the SEVP Portal within 10 days of the change.
What do I have to validate?
You are required to submit a Validation Report every 6 months, changes or no changes. You MUST log into your SEVP Portal and make sure all information is current and up-to-date. You can edit your address, email and phone number. If any employer information needs to be updated, you must submit an update I-983 Form.
How do I submit my validation report?
Once you have completed the above, please send email@example.com an email with the following:
- Your Name
- Your SEVIS number
- Confirmation you have checked your SEVP Portal and everything is current
- Request your validation report be submitted in SEVIS by an international student advisor
- Submit Evaluation page (if required)
You must complete two annual self-evaluations using page five of the Form I-983 Training Plan. You will also need to complete the "final" self-evaluation whenever you change employers.
- The first evaluation must be completed 12 months after the start date on your STEM OPT EAD. It must be submitted at the same time as your 12-month Validation Report
- The final evaluation must be completed at the end of the 24-Month STEM OPT. It must be submitted along with your 24-month Validation Report
- If you leave your job or change to a different visa status prior to the end date on your STEM OPT EAD card, you must complete and submit a final evaluation on Form I-983.
To be accepted, your Self Evaluations must be completed, fully signed, and dated by both you and your employer.
Please note due to COVID, we will currently accept handwritten signatures, Adobe Docu-signatures (verified), Apple Pen signatures, and handwritten signatures that have been scanned and pasted into the signature field.
When do I need to submit an updated I-983?
Students must report changes within 10 days and are required to submit a new/updated I-983 for the following material changes:
- New employer
- Change in supervisor and/or supervisor contact information
- Employer street address (company/headquarter address)
- Employer site address (physical work location)
- Change to employer’s EIN
- Any reduction in student compensation that is not tied to a reduction in hours worked
- Any significant decrease in hours per week that a student engages in a STEM training opportunity
- Changes to the employer’s commitments or student’s learning objectives as documented on the Form I-983
- Company Acquisition/Merger
Students must also report any changes to your name, your immigration status, or if student will forfeit the remainder of STEM OPT and will leave the country.
If you change your immigration status (i.e. H1B) you will be required to submit the Final Evaluation of Form I-983 along with a copy of your change of status approval notice.