Academic Training for J-1 Degree Seeking Students

The information below applies to J-1 degree seeking students who hold DS-2019 forms issued by the Center for International Education. Students whose DS-2019 forms were issued by another organization (i.e., AMIDEAST, IIE) will need to contact the sponsoring organization regarding information and authorization for Academic Training.

J-1 degree seeking students may engage in internships related to their field of study (major) on- or off-campus. This is known as Academic Training. The internship may be paid or unpaid, full-time or part-time. Academic Training MUST be authorized by the Responsible or Alternate Responsible Officer in the Center for International Education before the student commences employment. The form to apply for authorization for Academic Training is contained here.

Eligibility and Policies for Academic Training.

  1. You must be in the U.S. primarily for study in a full time academic program
  2. You must be in good academic standing at Cal State East Bay. Students on academic probation will not be authorized for Academic Training.
  3. You must participate in academic training that is directly related to your major field of study.
  4. Your employment/training must take place with the specific employer or employers who are noted on the academic training request form.
  5. Although you may engage in paid or unpaid internships, students who wish to participate in an unpaid internship after the completion of his/her course of study must provide proof of adequate funds (i.e., bank statements) to cover living expenses ($2500/month).
  6. Authorization for full-time employment at times when school is in session and the student is taking a full load of courses will only be done if there is compelling reason to do so.
  7. All forms of Academic Training, both part- and full- time, are counted as full time towards the allowable time period for Academic Training.
  8. Approval for Academic Training must be submitted at least 2 weeks prior to your program completion date or the DS-2019 expiration date, whichever is sooner.
  9. Authorization for Academic Training will only be given when the student has shown proof of purchase of appropriate health insurance (including evacuation and repatriation) that covers the entire Academic Training period.
  10. You must receive written authorization from a Responsible or Alternate Responsible Officer at the Center for International Education before commencing employment. Allow seven (7) working days to process the Academic Training request.
  11. You must apply for extensions as needed and in a timely manner in order to maintain your J-1 status.

Length of Academic Training

  1. The total employment/training period may not exceed the amount of time spent in full course of study. For example, if you are in the One Year MBA program (12 months), you are only eligible for 12 months of academic training.
  2. Students who complete a degree program are permitted an overall academic training period of 18 months, unless otherwise noted above. This includes all academic training, whether before or after completion of studies (22CFR 514.23(f)(4))
  3. Completing more than one degree program at the same time does not increase your academic training period.

Procedures to Participate in Academic Training

  1. Secure an internship position. Visit CECfor resources and postings
  2. Complete the Request for Academic Training Authorization form (include letter of job offer from employer).
  3. Obtain Academic Advisor's approval (indicating that the goals and objectives of the proposed employment are directly related to your course of study.)
  4. Turn in the Request for Academic Training Authorization form to the Center for International Education.
  5. Once approved, pick up your Academic Training Approval (and DS-2019 extension if needed) letter from the Center for International Education.
  6. Start working! If you, your prospective employer, or your academic advisors have any questions or concerns, please contact the Center for International Education at

Prospective Employers

  • Academic Training—Prospective Employers 

Employment Rules While on AT

Reporting Requirements

The following information must be reported to CIE during the post-completion Academic Training period of authorization within 10 days of any changes:

  • Your residential address
  • Your phone and email address
  • If ending Academic Training early- Date of exiting the U.S. (You must provide date of exit if you decide to exit the U.S and complete your AT status prior to the end date of your AT)
  • If your visa status changes while on Academic Training
  • You must submit a Final Evaluation at the end of your AT period


Unemployment for students with Academic Training authorization is not allowed. If termination of employment is necessary, consult with an Advisor at CIE (before the employment termination date) to determine the best way to maintain legal status in the U.S.

In general, students are allowed a 30-day grace period from the last date of employment or the end of the AT authorization period (whichever comes first), to depart the U.S., change status, or transfer the DS-2019 to a new program of study.

Changing Employers

If employment is terminated and a job offer is accepted elsewhere in the U.S., the new job must still be related to the field of study. In this case, it is required for the student to obtain a new work authorization from CIE before beginning work at the new job. Application instructions are exactly the same as when the student originally applied for the initial Academic Training work authorization. Note: There cannot be a gap in employment dates.

Health Insurance

J-1 students and accompanying J-2 dependents must maintain specific health insurance coverage for the entirety of the stay in the U.S. in J status, including while on Academic Training, as required by the U.S. Department of State.  Failure to maintain health insurance is a serious violation of J status.

Know Your Rights While Working in the US

Travel Outside the U.S.

If you intend to leave the U.S. after you complete your program of study you must obtain academic training authorization from CIE BEFORE you depart. If you do not receive this authorization, you will lose your eligibility for academic training.