- F-1 Students
- New Students
- F-1 Status, Visa and Travel
- Maintaining Status
- Forms and Handouts
- Express Shipping Options
- Links and Resources
- J-1 Students and Scholars
- Video Gallery
- CIE staff
On- Campus Employment
On-Campus employment is defined as work done on the premises of the university campus.
A J-1 student may be authorized to work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full time during summer and official University holiday breaks for on-campus employment. Students who already have assistantships considered to be equivalent to 20 hours a week are not eligible for additional on-campus employment.
- If CSUEB issued your DS-2019, you must obtain approval from the CIE office before beginning any on-campus employment.
- Once you have completed your academic program, you are no longer eligible for on-campus employment unless you have obtained employment authorization based on academic training.
Academic Training in Your Field of Study
Academic Training is work, training, or experience related to a student's field of study.
- Although a J-1 student may work part time or full time, all academic training is counted full time, even if the employment/training is on a part-time basis.
- You must have a job offer in the field of your study and obtain a written recommendation for academic training from your academic advisor in order to apply for academic training with CIE.
- The time you are authorized for academic training before your program completion will be subtracted from the total time of academic training for which you are eligible.
- Time allotted may not exceed "the period of full course of study" or 18 months, whichever is shorter.
- Completing more than
one degreeprogram does not increase your academic training period.