Employment Options

On- Campus Employment

On-Campus employment is defined as work done on the premises of the university campus.

  • A J-1 student may be authorized to work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full time during summer and official University holiday breaks for on-campus employment. Students who already have assistantships considered to be equivalent to 20 hours a week are not eligible for additional on-campus employment.
  • If CSUEB issued your DS-2019, you must obtain approval from the CIE office before beginning any on-campus employment.
  • Once you have completed your academic program, you are no longer eligible for on-campus employment unless you have obtained employment authorization based on academic training. 

Academic Training in Your Field of Study

Academic Training is work, training, or experience related to a student's field of study.

  • Although a J-1 student may work part time or full time, all academic training is counted full time, even if the employment/training is on a part-time basis.
  • You must have a job offer in the field of your study and obtain a written recommendation for academic training from your academic advisor in order to apply for academic training with CIE.
  • The time you are authorized for academic training before your program completion will be subtracted from the total time of academic training for which you are eligible.
    • Time allotted may not exceed "the period of full course of study" or 18 months, whichever is shorter.
    • Completing more than one degree program does not increase your academic training period.