Travel Outside the U.S. and Re-Entry

When traveling outside the United States, you will need to have the proper documents to return which include:

  • Passport valid for 6 months into the future
  • Valid DS-2019 with travel signature less than 1 year old (we prefer every 6 months)
  • Valid J-1 visa

We recommend you also take your transcripts and proof of finances with you.

Please submit the Travel Endorsement Request Form along with your current DS-2019 to CIE at least 1 week before your travel dates.

If you are traveling outside the US to another country besides your home country, please check any visa requirements to enter that country.



Visa Revocation following an Arrest: The U.S. Department of State is revoking visa foils ("stamps") of foreign nationals following a conviction or an arrest for driving under the influence (DUI), driving while intoxicated (DWI), or a related criminal charge. Individuals are notified of their visa cancellation by email (the address used on the visa application). An individual in nonimmigrant status whose visa has been prudentially revoked will have to obtain a new visa in order to be readmitted to the United States after temporary travel abroad. In order for the visa to be issued, the foreign national will first need to be cleared by a panel physician following a medical screening, which may result in a visa denial or delay. A student who has their visa revoked should talk to an immigration attorney.

 We strongly suggest you speak to an international student advisor if you have been arrested.


Automatic Visa Revalidation – Travel to Canada & Mexico

If you are only traveling to Canada or Mexico for a period of less than 30 days, you may be eligible to re-enter the US on the basis of an expired visa in your passport under a process called “automatic visa revalidation.”

In order to take advantage of Automatic Revalidation all of the following must apply:

  • The visit is ONLY to Canada or Mexico and you may NOT travel to any other country.
  • You did not apply for a new US visa stamp while in Canada/Mexico.
  • Your passport must be valid for at least six months from your date of re-entry to the U.S., unless your country is a member of the so-called “six-month club.”
  • You must possess an unexpired I-94 record* or admission stamp.
  • You must apply for readmission to the U.S. within the authorized period of your immigration status.
  • You must have maintained and intend to resume your non-immigrant status.

NOTE: When exiting the U.S. for Automatic Revalidation do not surrender your I-94—you will need it for reentry.

Automatic revalidation is not available to nationals from countries identified as state sponsors of terrorism. Individuals who apply for a new visa in Canada and/or Mexico, but are denied such a visa, are also not eligible to benefit from the automatic visa revalidation option.

We recommend that individuals planning to re-enter the US under the automatic visa revalidation process carry with them the CBP automatic visa revalidation memo. In addition, please print the relevant regulations.

If you will be traveling by air, you should confirm that your airline is familiar with the visa revalidation process and will issue you a boarding pass when returning to the US even though you have an expired US visa in your passport.