J-1 Students

j1 studentIn addition to the information provided below, J-1 students should review the following (links open in a new window):

Non-Degree Students

Non-degree J-1 students enjoy all the rights and privileges of fee-paying matriculated students at California State University, East Bay during their stay (usually one to three quarters), but they have not been accepted into a degree program at Cal State East Bay. They are at CSUEB as special guests, and all academic credit is presumed to transfer back to their home institution to count towards their home institution degree. Exchange students are not eligible to receive a degree from CSUEB while on the exchange program.

Please note: In order to apply for the exchange program, CSUEB must have a formal exchange agreement with the student's home institution or sponsoring agency. CSUEB will not accept an application directly from a student so students should apply through their home institution Exchange Coordinator or Sponsoring Agency. View a list of CSUEB Exchange Partners.

Degree Students

J-1 degree students are subject to CSUEB rules and regulations regarding their academic status.

Sponsored Students

J-1 Sponsored Students refer to students attending CSUEB on behalf of a sponsoring agency, such as IIE or AMIDEAST. These students are recipients of highly selective and prestigious fellowships to attend a university in the United States. In collaboration with CSUEB, these students have either been admitted as non-degree students or have been admitted to a degree program at CSUEB. These students must refer to their sponsoring agencies for all immigration related matters.