Arrival Checklist for J-1 Scholars

Welcome to California State University, East Bay! This checklist is to assist you with settling into Cal State East Bay and the Bay Area.

  • Check-in and attend an in-person orientation with Karen Ling, Faculty Immigration Advisor in the Office of Academic Affairs ( or 510-885-4275) AND report your arrival to CIE within 10 days of your arrival.  Bring with you 1) passport, 2) DS-2019, and 3) I-94. The Center for International Education is required to report your arrival no later than 30 days from the start date indicated on your DS-2019. If you arrive close to 30 days after the start date on your DS-2019, report your arrival to us immediately ( or (510) 885-7434).
  • Fill out a New International Student Information Sheet with your local contact information.
  • Purchase Medical Insurance and/or Show Proof of Purchase to CIE within the First Week of Your Arrival. J-1 Exchange Visitors and J-2 dependents must show proof of health insurance coverage within one week of arrival into the United States. For more information on the U.S. Department of State Health Insurance Requirements, see the J-1 Scholar Handbook (PDF, 649k, link opens in new window).
  • Obtain your Cal State East Bay ID (Bay Card). The Bay Card is Cal State East Bay's campus ID card for employees and students. It identifies someone as a member of the Cal State East Bay community and can be used for a variety of activities on campus.  In addition to being your primary form of identification on campus, it is also your campus library card. It can be used to check out equipment in various departments and shown for entry at campus events.  To obtain a Bay Card, go to the CSUEB Library. You will need to know your NetIID and bring a photo ID (passport is fine).  If you do't know your NetID, it can be obtained from the Exchange Programs Advisor at the Center for International Education.
  • Apply for your Social Security Number. Only J Scholars with the intention to work may obtain a Social Security Card. Any employment must be authorized by the Center for International Education. In order to apply, J Scholars must take a valid passport, 1-94, and DS-2019 to the Social Security Office. The process takes approximately 2-4 weeks.
  • Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Even if you do not wish to obtain a driver's license, it is recommended that you apply for a California Identification Card at the DMV to have photo identification without having to carry your passport with you.
  • Meet with your faculty sponsor of staff contact person in your host department, if you have not done so already.