Health Insurance

Health Insurance

All exchange visitors and their accompanying dependents at the California State University, East Bay are required to have health insurance coverage that meets the University's standards. 

If your government or program sponsor is providing you with health insurance, you will later have the opportunity to apply for a waiver of the mandatory health insurance. In order for a waiver to be granted, your health insurance coverage must be proven to meet CSUEB standards, so please bring a copy of the insurance policy with you to the U.S.

You must maintain valid Health Insurance coverage throughout your entire stay in the USA (including any academic training)


U.S. Dept. of State Required Health Insurance Coverage for J-1/J-2 Exchange Visitors

US Department of State Insurance Requirements for J-1/J-2 Exchange Visitors
Item Minimum Requirement
Medical Benefit $100,000
Repatriation of Remains $25,000
Medical Evacuation $50,000
Deductible per accident or illness $500
  • Covers pre-existing conditions after a reasonable waiting period
  • Includes a provision for co-payment that does not exceed 25% co-pay by the Exchange Visitor
  • Does not exclude benefits for perils inherent to the activities of the Exchange Visitor's program
  • J-1s and any J-2 accompanying spouse and dependent(s) may also be subject to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act [22 CFR 62.14(a)] . Be aware that the ACA requirements may exceed the U.S. Department of State requirements.
  • Any insurance plan must be:
    • Underwritten by an insurance corporation having an A.M. Best rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above; a McGraw Hill Financial/Standard & Poor’s Claims paying Ability rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above; a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of ‘‘B+’’ or above; a Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above; a Moody’s Investor Services rating of ‘‘A3’’ or above; or such other rating as the Department of State may from time to time specify;
    • OR backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor’s home country;
    • OR part of a health benefits program offered on a group basis to employees or enrolled students by a designated sponsor;
    • OR offered through or underwritten by a federally qualified Health Maintenance Organization or eligible Competitive Medical Plan as determined by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

For information to purchase the school sponsored health insurance please see Health Insurance.