- F-1 Students
- New Students
- F-1 Status, Visa and Travel
- Maintaining Status
- Social Security Number
- Employment Options
- On-Campus Employment
- Employment & Volunteering
- CPT (Curricular Practical Training)
- Post Completion OPT Workshops
- Optional Practical Training
- OPT Reporting Requirements (12 Months)
- 24 Month OPT STEM Extension
- OPT STEM Reporting (24 months)
- Changing Employers During OPT STEM
- Forms and Handouts
- Express Shipping Options
- Links and Resources
- J-1 Students and Scholars
- International Student Life
- Video Gallery
- CIE staff
Health Insurance Information
Please click on the image below for information from Anthem Blue Cross regarding your insurance and COVID-19
California State University East Bay (CSUEB) requires that F-1 & J-1 visa students purchase and maintain adequate health insurance coverage during their period of enrollment at Cal State East Bay.
CSUEB provides a preferred health insurance vendor and does not accept alternative insurance health plans.
Summer & Fall 2021 International Student Health Insurance Waiver
California State University East Bay (CSUEB) requires that F-1 & J-1 visa students purchase and maintain adequate health insurance coverage during their period of enrollment in the California State University System.
However, the CSU Chancellor’s office released the following exception during the pandemic:
EO 1082 requires the campus to confirm that international students are insured. For international students who are enrolled online during the COVID 19 pandemic and are verifiably out of the country, this provision may be waived. Campuses should make sure that they and their students are in compliance with any visa regulations, and be prepared to confirm insurance when the student returns to the US.
If you will reside in the U.S. and plan to classes for Summer session and/or Fall Semester 2021:
If you have departed the U.S. and plan to pursue online classes while in your home country for the Summer 2021 or Fall 2021 semester:
Request a health insurance waiver by completing the
If you would like to request a refund for health insurance:
Complete the the appropriate waiver forms above and follow the instructions listed below for refund requests.
For questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer Session and Fall Semester 2021:
How to purchase Health Insurance to Clear Insurance Holds for Summer and/or Fall semester 2021:The health insurance carrier will be Anthem Blue Cross. Refer to Relation Insurance website for coverage details www.4studenthealth.com/csueb
Option 1: CSUEB Sponsored Health Insurance
To purchase insurance:
- Go to: Student Health CSUEB
- Select the 2021-2022 plan year to purchase for Summer and/or Fall 2021, scroll down and click enroll
- On the enrollment page, select the Summer 2021 term, Fall 2021 or Annual and click continue to choose your coverage
- After your purchase, CIE will be notified of your enrollment
- CIE will clear your hold within 48 hours
Option 2: Employer-Sponsored InsuranceIf you are receiving health insurance coverage through an employer-sponsored plan (i.e. US policy through an employer or a family member’s employment), provide documentation of your current insurance policy from your health insurance company. Note you will need to purchase the Relation Insurance Medical Evacuation & Repatriation plan at www.4studenthealth.com/csueb-repat
- E-mail employer-sponsored health insurance documentation and confirmation letter of the Relation Insurance Medical Evacuation & Repatriation plan to email@example.com. Include the following information
- Your full name, NETID and Date of Birth
- Current immigration status (F-1 or J-1)
- Contact information, including address and phone number of insurance company
- Copy of your health insurance ID card
- Evidence of coverage booklet
- Benefit summary from employer's HR confirming your enrollment. Must be on company letterhead and list employee name and dependents name and status (spouse or child)
- The review process may take up to 3-5 business days.
Option 3: Government-Sponsored Scholarship
- E-mail proof of your government-sponsored scholarship that includes reference to your health insurance to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your full name and NetID in your email.
- The review process may take 3-5 days.
Optional Practical Training (OPT) for F-1 and Academic Training for J-1You are still eligible for the insurance coverage offered through your school, but you must contact Relation at (800) 537-1777 to obtain an enrollment form. In addition, students who are on Optional Practical Training or Academic Training must provide a Verification of Practical Training Letter to be eligible for this insurance coverage and must purchase OPT coverage within 30 days of the expiration date of their prior coverage.
Coverage Dates for each semester
For removal of health insurance hold, valid documentation of your coverage (lasting through the last day of the semester) must be submitted to CIE at Cal State East Bay.
|Summer & Fall 2021||06/01/2021||12/31/2021|
|Annual Plan for 2021-2022||06/01/2021||05/31/2022|
**Please note: You will always have a hold for international student health insurance. The hold will be moved to a future term based on your health insurance coverage dates. Please be sure to click on "details" to see which specific semester your hold is preventing you from enrolling for.
How to obtain your Health Insurance Card?
Download the Sydney Health app using your phone. The app on your mobile device gives you instant access to your benefits, ID card, and much more. You may also access your ID card and benefits on the . Register your account using your netid.
Submit refund requests to email@example.com.
Include your name, NetID and reason for your refund request.